Macintosh OS/old mac update?

I have recently acquired an old mac off a friend. It currently has OS 10.4.11 and says it is fully updated when i go to 'software update..', when obviously it isn't as its only tiger.I have found that i can't install most software because the system is so outdated. They all require 'leopard' to run the programs.  I have searched the internet and i cannot find an answer to weather its actually possible to update the old mac?

The details of this mac are as follows;
MAC OS X 10.4.11
1.83 GHz intel core 2 duo

Thankyou for your time

Hi Jordan.

While you tell me the specs, you don't tell me the actual model.

I went over to and picked an iMac that is close to your specs:

(Yes, you should find your specific model there for the full details.)

It looks like you might be able to upgrade to 10.6 (and via software update, to 10.6.8).
Likely you'll need to add RAM and possibly replace the internal HD to get decent performance with 10.6.8.

Then, a separate issue, is actually getting a copy of 10.5 or 10.6 as Apple hasn't sold them for years (we're up to 10.8 right now.) Your best bet there will be ebay.

Hope that helps and feel free to ask follow up questions!

Macintosh OS

Jeff Greenberg

I can comfortably answer most basic/advanced questions regarding Macintosh hardware and software - nowadays only OSX. In fact, if it's prior to 10.3, there's a good chance I'll reject your question. Forget OS9 stuff - Igave up OS 9 ten years ago). Please do not ask me about OS9. My particular specialties are in Video editing/DVD authoring. I am a certified trainer in the "pro apps" (Final Cut, DVDSP, Soundtrack, Motion). I have been using Macs since 1985.

I'm an Apple Cert. Trainer for FCP, DVD SP, since the inception of this program. I've was
certified as an Apple Cert. Technician back in 1989.

Videography, Macworld, Tibits

BA film- Penn State. Certifications from Apple, Adobe and Avid for training.