Macintosh OS/Annoying Pop-Up Error Message

Question
Pop-Up Error Message
Pop-Up Error Message  
When connected to the internet, I constantly get annoying pop-up boxes that say "Network Connection - Could not find a PPPoE server". I simply click on "OK" and the box goes away for 2-3 minutes and then pops back up. It has no effect on my getting on or using the internet and email. I just click the annoying box away and keep doing my internet work. I am connected to a cable modem with an Airport wireless system. Other computers in the house use this same wireless system without having this problem. I have no idea what to do to this specific computer to get this pop-up to quit constantly coming up. If I leave the computer ON or in SLEEP, after a few weeks, the pop-up stops coming up on its own, but if I restart the computer, it begins all over again. My computer is a 17" MacBook Pro, with OS 10.6.8 with 8GB RAM. No recent changes or any hardware additions or modifications.

Answer
Steve,

At some point, either you or someone else has had your system configured for DSL use.

A PPPoE server (Point to Point Protocol Over Ethernet) is the way most computers are set up for directly plugging a computer to DSL.

If you're using a wireless network (Airport) and everyone else connects fine, how about we change your network settings.

System Preference > Network.

Go to the Location Drop down at the top.

Choose Edit Locations.

Press the plus "+" button. Hit done.

We have just added a fresh, blank location. You'll need to reconnect to your wireless (airport).

The PPPoE issue should go away. (If you're worried, you can switch back to your original configuration as you will now have two.)  

Macintosh OS

Jeff Greenberg