Macintosh OS/App store updates

Question
QUESTION: I recently installed OS 10.8.2. Every few days a message pops up on my desktop saying updates avaiable. Some updates I do not want to do, some I do.  But their seems no way to dismess them. They keep popping up. Is their anyway to get rid of updates I dont want to do?    thanks

ANSWER: Ernie,

I don't think you can 'ignore' certain updates selectively; The app store wants you to update to the latest version of software available (and generally that's a good idea.)

I went over to notification center in the system preferences (where you should be able to dictate what sort of notifications show up) and there is no entry for the App Store application.

I did have one idea for you - how about if you sign out of the App Store itself? If you sign out, it shouldn't be able to check that an application needs an update. I think. I'm not 100% sure on this (because I have no timely way to sign out and see what happens.)

I can give you an argument either way with why this should (or shouldn't work.)  But you can try and see what happens.

As a question, what update are you trying to avoid?

QUESTION: I do update system software. Their are several, for example entertainment apps that I'm not using and dont want to bother with updateing. I will try deleting them and see if that stops the persistant update pop ups.

PS:  It's very dissapointing to have to put up with what Apple thinks I should have on MY computer.

Answer
Ernie,

The reason I asked if you update system software, is that we're at 10.8.3 (and have been for over a month?)

I don't know if deleting them should stop the persistent update (I think it will.)

You don't have to buy from the App store- many developers would prefer to sell to you directly rather than pay apple 30%.

Macintosh OS

Jeff Greenberg