Macintosh OS/Burning discs using a Mac OS X 10.7.5

Background: Using a Kaiser Bass DVD Maker for Mac, I digitised a 90 minute VHS tape into a MOV movie. I used the burner on my Mac OS X 10.7.5 to burn an MOV movie into a blank disc for my DVD player. But the TV attached to my DVD player said "item too large". When I cut the 20 gig size in half, it was still too big. When I changed the format to MP4 or M4V, my DVD player said "Can't play this format." How many gigs can a Mac burner handle? What format is OK for DVD players? Any suggestions (as to what I'm doing wrong) would be welcome. But you will need to keep it simple. I have a 1956 Diploma of Agriculture. I can drive a team of 12 Clydesdale horses and ride a horse in Iceland that Vikings bred, but computers baffle me. To see me on a horse in Iceland, on YouTube it's at: "Radio Graham - Iceland Four" Use the quotation marks or you could get a US rap band.

I teach technology professional - let's see if I can be of help. Just be patient with yourself. We actually teach computers worse than when I started using them (in 1978!) - because we 'assume' too much of students. As long as you're patient with yourself, I'll be patient too.

Before I deal with your specific issue, I want to for a moment talk about DVDs.

DVDs can be a storage mechanism (like a hard drive) or a playback mechanism (for a hardware DVD player.)

As a storage mechanism, it's like a hard drive.

If you intend it to be a standard DVD-Video, the  video on a DVD is compressed to fit a single sided blank (4.3 GB) or a double sided black (8.6 GB). The more video that you want to put on a DVD, the higher the compression. And you've probably figured this out, the higher the compression, the worse the DVD looks.

DVDs cannot just have 'video' files loose. DVDs were invented in 1990 - you just can't throw any file on it. It has to be in a specific format MPEG-2. And it has to be formatted correctly otherwise known as 'authoring'

Ok, on to your issue.

A MOV file (QuickTime) can be many flavors (similar to the way a text document can be a .txt .rtf or .doc).  

DVD players cannot play MOV files - they have to be converted to MPEG-2 and then authored. So, MP4? Nope. That's MPEG-4. M4V? That's another flavor of MPEG-4.

The 20 Gig file is way too large even if it was in the right format.

iDVD can do this (you should check if your system has it.) Alternatively, for free, is Burn - - but I have no idea of it's ease or difficulty.

Let's see how that does for you and we'll go from there!

Macintosh OS

Jeff Greenberg

I can comfortably answer most basic/advanced questions regarding Macintosh hardware and software - nowadays only OSX. In fact, if it's prior to 10.3, there's a good chance I'll reject your question. Forget OS9 stuff - Igave up OS 9 ten years ago). Please do not ask me about OS9. My particular specialties are in Video editing/DVD authoring. I am a certified trainer in the "pro apps" (Final Cut, DVDSP, Soundtrack, Motion). I have been using Macs since 1985.

I'm an Apple Cert. Trainer for FCP, DVD SP, since the inception of this program. I've was
certified as an Apple Cert. Technician back in 1989.

Videography, Macworld, Tibits

BA film- Penn State. Certifications from Apple, Adobe and Avid for training.