Macintosh OS/e-mail download failure

I tried to download an e-mail from a friend on my iMac (OS 10.8.3). It started for about 30 sec. and then stopped, went to zero download speed. It also would not download the other 4 e-mails as shown in the activity box (Mail 6.3). I went to my iBook (OS 10.5.8) and after a while it did download it along with the other e-mails, However it would not open it, other e-mails opened fine, Mail ( 3.6 ). Itís 8.4 MB large and has a .eml extension. I have not had this problem with any other e-mails large or small.  I saved it to my desktop, again a very long process, in hopes of figuring out what the problem is so I can avoid it the future. Can you help?   Thanks,

Problems downloading email are usually a problem with either your Internet connection or your email provider.

I'm assuming you were using Apple Mail and *not* a web browser to access your mail.

You've managed to download that file, so any connection/download issue is moot at this point.

Opening EML files are different question.

.EML files are E -M aiL files from a microsoft email client (entrourage, outlook, outlook express.)  

Once downloaded, I'll assume you double clicked on it? If your mac couldn't open it, I'd suggest downloading and installing Stuffit Expander based on this tip:

According to that technote, Apple Mail ought to work as well.  

Macintosh OS

Jeff Greenberg

I can comfortably answer most basic/advanced questions regarding Macintosh hardware and software - nowadays only OSX. In fact, if it's prior to 10.3, there's a good chance I'll reject your question. Forget OS9 stuff - Igave up OS 9 ten years ago). Please do not ask me about OS9. My particular specialties are in Video editing/DVD authoring. I am a certified trainer in the "pro apps" (Final Cut, DVDSP, Soundtrack, Motion). I have been using Macs since 1985.

I'm an Apple Cert. Trainer for FCP, DVD SP, since the inception of this program. I've was
certified as an Apple Cert. Technician back in 1989.

Videography, Macworld, Tibits

BA film- Penn State. Certifications from Apple, Adobe and Avid for training.