Macintosh OS/brother 2040 printer problem with my Mac

I have OSX 10.8.3. Have just encountered a problem with my trusty old Brother HL-2040 printer:

The previous job seems to be 'stuck'. Trying to print a new job, the previous job printed again, and the new job did not print. I tried to cancel the previous job using the 'x' that appears next to it in the printer 'log'. When I do this, I get a message saying:

<Unable to delete “ING DIRECT.”

Job #91 is already canceled - can't cancel.>

What can I do??!

Many thanks, Janet

The easiest thing that I do when I have printer problems is to 'remove' the printer in OSX preferences and add it back.
Apple's technote on adding/removing printers:

If you like, you could try this first -

See this:
All this requires is opening the terminal and typing "cancel -a -" (no quotes.)

Let me know if that helps!

Macintosh OS

Jeff Greenberg

I can comfortably answer most basic/advanced questions regarding Macintosh hardware and software - nowadays only OSX. In fact, if it's prior to 10.3, there's a good chance I'll reject your question. Forget OS9 stuff - Igave up OS 9 ten years ago). Please do not ask me about OS9. My particular specialties are in Video editing/DVD authoring. I am a certified trainer in the "pro apps" (Final Cut, DVDSP, Soundtrack, Motion). I have been using Macs since 1985.

I'm an Apple Cert. Trainer for FCP, DVD SP, since the inception of this program. I've was
certified as an Apple Cert. Technician back in 1989.

Videography, Macworld, Tibits

BA film- Penn State. Certifications from Apple, Adobe and Avid for training.