Macintosh OS/Very Slow Processing & Shut Down

I use a Dual 1 GHz PowerPC G4 (QuickSilver 2002); I have 1.5 GB SDRAM with three internal hard drives and one external hard drive (Mac Companion); I run Mac OS X 10.5.8 Leopard.  Here is a list of my hard drives:
1. Master HD has 123 GB; runs on Leopard
2. 1st Slave HD has 160 GB; runs on Leopard
3. 2nd Slave HD has 500 GB; runs on Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
4. External HD Mac Companion has 3 TB; runs on Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger

My Mac runs real slow when doing routine tasks, while using the Master HD running Leopard.

Since it takes a very long time (sometimes up to 10 - 15 minutes) for Shutting Down, using the proper procedure (with the mouse); I'm finding myself Shutting Down by pressing the "ON/OFF" button switch on the QuickSilver's tower, more often.

Why do you think it takes so very long to do routine tasks and to shut down, and what can I do about it?

ANSWER: The hard drive can be failing or choked with large cache files, or more likely the directory is corrupt.
Start with one of the other drives and repair the drive and repair the permissions. in Disk Utility.
A good option is to install AppleJack (does not work properly on Lion or MLion)
With Applejack you start in Single User Mode (Command + S) and type "applejack auto restart"
Applejack runs scripts that will Fix Hard Drive, Repair Permissions, Clean Caches, Reset Memory, and Check Plists.

The other options include Onyx and Yasu (both free) that can do many repairs but not Disk Repair.

Starting up in Safe Mode will do the Disk Repair (SHIFT key down)

The directory on the HD may be too damaged for Disk Utility to fix, DiskWarrior is wonderful and well worth $100.

Monthly Maintenance Articles

My ScoopIt website on Mac Tech Support

Thanks a million for sharing all your resources!!

My 2nd Slave was originally running on OS X 10.5, and it restarted and shut down almost instantly when I used the proper procedure with the mouse.  But when I updated to 10.5.8, the proper restart and shut down took longer.

My 3rd Slave runs on OS 10.4.11 Tiger, and it restarts and shuts down almost instantly.

Question: When 2nd Slave was fully updated to 10.5.8 Leopard, why would it take longer to process normal routine tasks?

Most Gratefully,

Hard drive failing, directory damage, large or corrupted cache files are most common.
Downloading and installing the 10.5.8 COMBO update sometimes helps.
Follow the steps above - then try the COMBO update.

This article is useful.
How to keep your Mac running in tip-top shape
Here are some tips and tricks to keeping your Mac running at its optimal speed.

Macintosh OS

David Anders

Seattle - The Computer Guy - 15 yr veteran Mac/PC/network problem solving. Clients are design firms, artists, freelancers and photographers. PLEASE PLEASE provide EXACT info for Mac Model and OS Version. RAM installed - added cards - external devices - recent changes. Do you do MONTHLY MAINTENANCE? With what Utility? What you have tried and what result do you want.

First computer experience 1969. Worked in 3 computer stores. Setup First Mac and First IBM-PC.