Macintosh OS/system preferences not open

Hi Jeff,
Cannot open it, it is not in apl.folder, have no idea since when, i was looking for it because I have no sound on my Macbook Pro ( Snow Leopard ). The hardware is ok. any help would be welcome . Thank you

I'm confused. Are you saying that you can't find the system preferences? They're not in the Application folder? Could they have been rnamed?

Have you tried going to the Apple Menu> System Preferences.

If the system preferences are not in the Applications folder, it's been renamed or deleted.

I have an idea to try...which if it doesn't work, leaves only the hard way.

Shot in the dark. You can try applying the 10.6.8 Combo updater:

Most system updates are a 'delta' update - update since the last update (10.6.1, 10.6.2, .3 , .4, etc.)  A combo updater is much larger as it has all the updates since 10.6.0.  The link I gave you is a little over 1gb in size. It might restore the system preferences if they're missing from the Applications folder.

The 'hard' way.

The hard way <b>requires </b> your Snow leopard disk.

This method is called 'archive and install' as it archives off your user, reinstalls everything and then puts your files back. To be honest, it leaves a mess, which is why it's a last choice item:

Let me know what you intend to do.

Macintosh OS

Jeff Greenberg

I can comfortably answer most basic/advanced questions regarding Macintosh hardware and software - nowadays only OSX. In fact, if it's prior to 10.3, there's a good chance I'll reject your question. Forget OS9 stuff - Igave up OS 9 ten years ago). Please do not ask me about OS9. My particular specialties are in Video editing/DVD authoring. I am a certified trainer in the "pro apps" (Final Cut, DVDSP, Soundtrack, Motion). I have been using Macs since 1985.

I'm an Apple Cert. Trainer for FCP, DVD SP, since the inception of this program. I've was
certified as an Apple Cert. Technician back in 1989.

Videography, Macworld, Tibits

BA film- Penn State. Certifications from Apple, Adobe and Avid for training.