Macintosh OS/At wit's end

Question

My current mac, recently upgraded to 10.6.8 and provided with lost of  RAM(1 or 2GB) is no suddenly becoming really slow. Previously with this upgrade, it allowed me to access up to 20 webpages at a time, sometimes, with no issues. Now it can crash or stall with just 2 webpages open. I desperately looked online via googling for some freeware software tool to clean up my RAM, but I constantly get diverted to sites which insist on payment. Please help provide me with a link to a genuinely free utility which can get rid of this RAM clogging up. Thanks, Geoff.

Answer
Geoff,

There's no such thing as software to 'clean up your RAM' on a macintosh.

But...1 or 2 GB isn't lots of RAM.

Your system becoming slow may have nothing to do with the amount of RAM you have.

But, let's be good diagnosticians and find out some answers.

Go to the Apple Menu. The first choice is About This Mac. Choose it.  How much Ram do you have?

Right click on your hard drive. Choose Get info. What is the Capacity and what is the Available space.

My feeling is that your hard drive is likely too full.

One last question/ In Applications>Utilities there is an application called 'Activity Monitor'.  Start that before your browser. Open your web pages. On the Activity Monitor at the bottom is a tab called 'System Memory'.  What is the size of the "Swap Used?"

Get back to me with those three items (How much Ram, How much free space, the size of your swap file) and I'll have a better chance of figuring out why your system is slow.  

Macintosh OS

Jeff Greenberg