Macintosh OS/At wit's end

Question
QUESTION: Hello There,

My current mac, recently upgraded to 10.6.8 and provided with lost of  RAM(1 or 2GB) is no suddenly becoming really slow. Previously with this upgrade, it allowed me to access up to 20 webpages at a time, sometimes, with no issues. Now it can crash or stall with just 2 webpages open. I desperately looked online via googling for some freeware software tool to clean up my RAM, but I constantly get diverted to sites which insist on payment. Please help provide me with a link to a genuinely free utility which can get rid of this RAM clogging up. Thanks, Geoff.

ANSWER: Hi, Geoff,

In my experience, when this happens, it's often because I've not restarted my computer recently.  Simply restart and see if that helps.

Now, if it doesn't help, try zapping your P-RAM.  You do this by telling your computer to restart and as soon as the screen goes black and before it bongs, you hold down the option-command-P and R keys.  Hold them down until the chime sounds at least 5 times.  Then, just let go and let it continue to load.  That should do the trick.  If it doesn't, let me know and I'll see what else I can come up with.

Debba

QUESTION: Sorry, I have a frebch keyboard. What symbols do the option and command keys display? Thanks!

Answer
Oh my - I'm not sure I can explain it.  Here is a link with a picture of the QWERTY Mac keyboard:

<http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Ffplanque.com%2Fdev%2>

They are the two keys to the left of the space bar on this keyboard.  The option key on a PC keyboard usually says 'alt' in the top corner.  The command key has the square with the loops on the corners.

Debba  

Macintosh OS

Debba Robinson