Macintosh OS/system uninstall

QUESTION: Jeff, I'm currently running OS 10.8.4 on an older Mac. It's causing some minor problems and has become TOO slow. Can I reinstall Snow Leopard or to I need to uninstall the current OS first?   thanks

ANSWER: Ernie,

I undertand. I'd recommend generally against it - it's not the easiest thing to do; if you want to preserve more than your documents. Things like iTunes, iPhoto and Mail make it tricky.

For example, if you're on the most current version of iPhoto, your library has been upgraded. There's no way to downgrade that library, beyond exporting all your photos and then reimporting them.

The process is basically  you end up wiping everything and installing Snow Leopard (10.6) from 10.8. And then you restore your files.

Here are two links about it:,2817,2389334,00.asp

Hope that helps!  Good luck!

QUESTION: Okay no downgrade. However I now have another problem. The WIFI on the computer does not work. I'm hardwired to the internet (have been for a couple of years now). I really think it's a hardware not software issue..This computer will have to be moved and replaced. Is their some type of "black box" that I can connect to allow the computer to receive from my Airport express. The move means I wont be able to hardwire to the internet.   thanks again

Before you're sure that the wireless doesn't work, there's a hardware test:

And here's how to interpret the results:

Last, you can always buy a USB wifi fob (like a thumb drive) such as these:

They'll allow you to use that as a wifi card rather than the built in one.

Good luck!

Macintosh OS

Jeff Greenberg

I can comfortably answer most basic/advanced questions regarding Macintosh hardware and software - nowadays only OSX. In fact, if it's prior to 10.3, there's a good chance I'll reject your question. Forget OS9 stuff - Igave up OS 9 ten years ago). Please do not ask me about OS9. My particular specialties are in Video editing/DVD authoring. I am a certified trainer in the "pro apps" (Final Cut, DVDSP, Soundtrack, Motion). I have been using Macs since 1985.

I'm an Apple Cert. Trainer for FCP, DVD SP, since the inception of this program. I've was
certified as an Apple Cert. Technician back in 1989.

Videography, Macworld, Tibits

BA film- Penn State. Certifications from Apple, Adobe and Avid for training.