Macintosh OS/PROTECT ME pt2

i have a iMac running OS X 10.8.2 and was wondering would you please explain to me: what does it mean by "allow application downloaded from Mac App store, Mac App store & Identified Developer or Anywhere"?

(P.S would you please try to give your answer in a easy way that I can understand)

Starting in Lion (10.7) Apple included Gatekeeper to protect the user from Bad Things on the Internet. The message is from Gatekeeper. Lion Gatekeeper was less strict, Mountain Lion Gatekeeper is STRICT.

A Google for "allow application downloaded from Mac App store"

Brings up Apple's explanation about Gatekeeper LINK#1

Gatekeeper options are:
   Mac App Store Only apps that came from the Mac App Store can open.
   Mac App Store and identified developers (default in OS X Mountain Lion) Only allow apps that came from the Mac App Store and developers using Gatekeeper can open.
   Anywhere Allow applications to run regardless of their source on the Internet (default in OS X Lion v10.7.5); Gatekeeper is effectively turned off. Note: Developer ID-signed apps that have been inappropriately altered will not open, even with this option selected.

This is an article about it from MacRumor LINK#2

These are the Gatekeeper articles on MacWorld  

Macintosh OS

David Anders

Seattle - The Computer Guy - 15 yr veteran Mac/PC/network problem solving. Clients are design firms, artists, freelancers and photographers. PLEASE PLEASE provide EXACT info for Mac Model and OS Version. RAM installed - added cards - external devices - recent changes. Do you do MONTHLY MAINTENANCE? With what Utility? What you have tried and what result do you want.

First computer experience 1969. Worked in 3 computer stores. Setup First Mac and First IBM-PC.