Macintosh OS/WOT IS IT?

I have a iMac running OS X 10.8.2 and was wondering would you please explain to me: wot does firmware do?

(P.S would you please try to give your answer in a easy way that I can understand)

What Is Firmware
What Is Firmware  
Computers, routers, switches, printers, cameras, and a lot of electronic devices have a chip that stores the firmware.
Firmware explains to the device what it is, how it works, and how it connects.
Firmware is most often NEVER updated.
Rarely, for some computers, there will be a recommended firmware update, usually to fix an error or bug in the software (firmware).
Some firmware upgrades are easy, some difficult, most are dangerous if done wrong. A bungled firmware update can make the device unusable.

Google "what is firmware"

Macintosh OS

David Anders

Seattle - The Computer Guy - 15 yr veteran Mac/PC/network problem solving. Clients are design firms, artists, freelancers and photographers. PLEASE PLEASE provide EXACT info for Mac Model and OS Version. RAM installed - added cards - external devices - recent changes. Do you do MONTHLY MAINTENANCE? With what Utility? What you have tried and what result do you want.

First computer experience 1969. Worked in 3 computer stores. Setup First Mac and First IBM-PC.