Macintosh OS/macmail

I'm using a macbook pro with OS X 10.9.1 and have a question about macmail. What I want is for all of my emails to be stored in my inbox so they can be searched easily. The problem is that I've had to delete emails from my dotster email server so as not to run out of space which also removes the emails from my computer. Not what I want at all. Is there a solution to this without manually saving emails?

All you need to do is create some new mailboxes. You can then move your emails there. Mail will search what's online...and what's offline.

Mailbox > New Mailbox...

Make sure the location is "On My mac"

Then select some (all) emails and Message > Move to > and pick the new mailbox.

There are more sophisticated ways of doing this (for example, a rule that moves mail older than 30 days to the offline mailbox automatically).

Be aware, that once moved from the server, other types of access (via webmail, via a smartphone) will no longer see those emails as they're not online.

Hope that helps!

Macintosh OS

Jeff Greenberg

I can comfortably answer most basic/advanced questions regarding Macintosh hardware and software - nowadays only OSX. In fact, if it's prior to 10.3, there's a good chance I'll reject your question. Forget OS9 stuff - Igave up OS 9 ten years ago). Please do not ask me about OS9. My particular specialties are in Video editing/DVD authoring. I am a certified trainer in the "pro apps" (Final Cut, DVDSP, Soundtrack, Motion). I have been using Macs since 1985.

I'm an Apple Cert. Trainer for FCP, DVD SP, since the inception of this program. I've was
certified as an Apple Cert. Technician back in 1989.

Videography, Macworld, Tibits

BA film- Penn State. Certifications from Apple, Adobe and Avid for training.