Macintosh OS/External Monitor

Hello, I have a 13 inch Macbook Pro a 2011 model with 8gb ram, 750 gb hd space, etc, and I am running OS X Yosemite. I am using a Dell monitor as an added external screen for my mac. When I try to move over screens that use internet such as safari or even the app store, the dell monitor screen starts to shake and goes black. It then shows a message saying its going into power save mode.  I then have to exit out of the window in the monitor screen by hitting command W or Q and wait for a while for it to display again. Can you please tell me what I can do to fix this issue? I was really hoping I could use this external monitor for a larger display, especially for things like surfing the web.

Hi there! That sounds frustrating.

I don't really have enough information yet to give any suggestions...I will need answers to the following questions:

1) How are you connecting the monitor? What kind of cable?
2) Have you tried other ways?
3) Did this just start to happen? Or has it happened always?
4) What resolution are you running the monitor at?
5) What is the model number of the monitor?

Macintosh OS

Jeff Greenberg

I can comfortably answer most basic/advanced questions regarding Macintosh hardware and software - nowadays only OSX. In fact, if it's prior to 10.3, there's a good chance I'll reject your question. Forget OS9 stuff - Igave up OS 9 ten years ago). Please do not ask me about OS9. My particular specialties are in Video editing/DVD authoring. I am a certified trainer in the "pro apps" (Final Cut, DVDSP, Soundtrack, Motion). I have been using Macs since 1985.

I'm an Apple Cert. Trainer for FCP, DVD SP, since the inception of this program. I've was
certified as an Apple Cert. Technician back in 1989.

Videography, Macworld, Tibits

BA film- Penn State. Certifications from Apple, Adobe and Avid for training.