Macintosh OS/New Wireless HP Printer / Remove Kodak Printer

Question
Our Kodak ESP 5250 died (thank God: it was an ink hog!). I just installed an HP Officejet Pro 8610. Nothing says there is a problem, but the HP isn't printing. The Kodak is still listed in the 'Printers' section of 'Preferences' although it says it is "Offline". Also, it took three attempts to install the HP (primarily because I had forgotten - and was guessing at - the WiFi router password) and so there are three of those showing in the Printers list as well: one "In use, Default", one "Idle", and one "Offline".

I may have dragged the Kodak app to the Trash Bin (I am an old Windows guy and was trying to uninstall it, but could find no other way to do it). I've gone online and see that I'm supposed to go to the Kodak AiO in the dock, but there isn't one.

I've never worked with a wireless printer before. Except for the power cord, it is truly wireless since - as instructed at the end of setup - I disconnected the USB cable.

I suspect there is conflicting info regarding the Kodak and /or extra HP printers, but only know enough about Macs to screw them up. Any solutions?

Answer
Patrick,

First let's talk uninstall.

> I may have dragged the Kodak app to the Trash Bin (I am an old Windows guy and was trying to uninstall it, but could find no other way to do it). I've gone online and see that I'm supposed to go to the Kodak AiO in the dock, but there isn't one.

Actually dragging to the trash is mostly the way to uninstall on OS X; but it sounds like the Kodak app has a built in one. Since you threw it out, there isn't an app for it to be on the dock (which is merely a shortcut anyway.)  I'd suggest seeing if there is a folder in your application folder for Kodak, and/or your utilities folder.

If there isn't, you probably can just can go to the System Preferences > Printers> and hit the minus sign for the kodak printers.

> it took three attempts to install the HP (primarily because I had forgotten - and was guessing at - the WiFi router password) and so there are three of those showing in the Printers list as well: one "In use, Default", one "Idle", and one "Offline".

I don't know much about the 8610 (it's impossible to really know printers without owning them). Nevertheless, it seems that there are three of them; I'd suggestion going to System Preferences > Printers> and deleting the Offline and the in use, default. I suspect that the IDLE one is the working version.

There is no conflict that I know of between software (Kodak and HP)

Wireless printers usually suggest a hardwire install and then a test that's wireless.

If you don't know your wifi password, that's a problem; I'd suggest resetting your router and setting the password to your home phone number. Easy to remember, easy to give out, easy to be difficult for someone to know.

Last, since you just bought the printer, your best bet for support would be HP directly. I'm certain that a new printer means that they'd support the setup.

Let's see if any of that solves your issues.

Macintosh OS

Jeff Greenberg