Macintosh OS/play Blu-ray discs

Is is possible to use an external drive to play Blu-ray discs directly on a MacBook? It has a Core2Duo processor and 9400m graphics.
Is it physically possible and does it need any software, either paid or free?

I have not tried it, but you'd need software to make it work on a mac.

Here is software that should work:

You don't include enough specs about your system -take a look at the site above - it has specs, which I've copy pasted here.

System Requirements:
Mac OS X 10.6 - 10.9.5/10.10
Intel Core2 Duo 2.4GHz processor or higher recommended
512 MB RAM or higher recommended
250 MB of free disk space.
An internal or external Blu-ray drive
USB 2.0 above or FireWire 400 aboveI

Macintosh OS

Jeff Greenberg

I can comfortably answer most basic/advanced questions regarding Macintosh hardware and software - nowadays only OSX. In fact, if it's prior to 10.3, there's a good chance I'll reject your question. Forget OS9 stuff - Igave up OS 9 ten years ago). Please do not ask me about OS9. My particular specialties are in Video editing/DVD authoring. I am a certified trainer in the "pro apps" (Final Cut, DVDSP, Soundtrack, Motion). I have been using Macs since 1985.

I'm an Apple Cert. Trainer for FCP, DVD SP, since the inception of this program. I've was
certified as an Apple Cert. Technician back in 1989.

Videography, Macworld, Tibits

BA film- Penn State. Certifications from Apple, Adobe and Avid for training.