If some one is running OS X 10.7.8, can they go straight to OS X 10.8.5 or do they need to update from OS X 10.7.8, 10.8, 10.8.1 and so on so I was wondering would you please tell me: is it a fact that people who want to do a system update should update to the very first update first?

If the answer is "yes, it is a fact" would you be able to explain to me why that is?

(P.S would you please try to give your answer in a easy way that I can understand)

There are delta updaters available from Apple - a delta updates 10.8.1 to 10.8.2
There are COMBO updaters available that updates 10.8.0thru10.8.4 to 10.8.5, skipping the intermediate steps.  [COMBO is key]
You must start with buying Mountain Lion ($20 from Apple) to go from 10.7 to 10.8.  
IMPORTANT it downloads to your Applications folder - if you do NOT copy or move it, the installation will delete it.  You can make a bootable USB installer for Lion and MLion and Mavericks.
SuperDuper is a free bootable drive imaging utility.

Macintosh OS

David Anders

Seattle - The Computer Guy - 15 yr veteran Mac/PC/network problem solving. Clients are design firms, artists, freelancers and photographers. PLEASE PLEASE provide EXACT info for Mac Model and OS Version. RAM installed - added cards - external devices - recent changes. Do you do MONTHLY MAINTENANCE? With what Utility? What you have tried and what result do you want.

First computer experience 1969. Worked in 3 computer stores. Setup First Mac and First IBM-PC.