Macintosh OS/Audio recording

Question
Hi Jeff, if I've misdirected this question let me know.

Here's what I'm trying to do. I want to create an audio podcast. I have both Garage Band (came with my system) and I downloaded audacity. I want to be able to record interviews either by skype or google hangout. I've googled this 100 different times and probably gotten 90 different answers. One answer involved something like soundflower and I couldn't make heads out of it.

Is there one good definitive way that I can do this. I've only been using Macs since November or so I'm hardly an expert. If there's a certain way to do what I'm asking I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for you time.

Answer
Ryan,

First, there's a dead simple plugin for skype: http://www.ecamm.com/mac/callrecorder/

Then you can take the audio to either Garage Band or Audacity.

Some people ask the person on the other end to record their sound - and then you have 2 clean audio copies, rather than yours + the skype version.

------

Recording the audio in a hangout is harder; the input isn't your microphone - but the 'output' of your mac.

That's where soundflower comes in.

By installing Soundflower, you're turning the output of your mac, into a virtual microphone - soundflower to your mac.

Before soundflower

Microphone -> Audacity.

After Soundflower

Google hangout  -> Soundflower - > Audacity.

How's that sound?

Best,

Jeff

P.S. if it's just the Skype Recording, the ecamm software is dead simple.

Macintosh OS

Jeff Greenberg