Macintosh OS/External hard drive

Question
QUESTION: Continuing my question. I ran the Disk Utility again and here are the copied results.

When I did Verify, it said:

Checking file system
** /dev/disk3s1
** Phase 1 - Preparing FAT
** Phase 2 - Checking Directories
** Phase 3 - Checking for Orphan Clusters
302580 files, 2162016 KiB free (67563 clusters)

When I did repair, it said this:
Volume repair complete.
Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required.

But, still no more visible files than the .lnk to be seen in the drive.

Additional information shows:

Capacity :   
880.2 GB (880,204,886,016 Bytes)
Format :   MS-DOS (FAT32)   
Available :   2.21 GB (2,213,838,848 Bytes)    
Owners Enabled :   No   
Used :   877.78 GB (877,776,175,104 Bytes)
Number of Folders :   0   
Number of Files :   0

ANSWER: The partition is formatted Format : MS-DOS (FAT32) - this is a Windows format.
Any easy attempt to recover files is going to require a Windows Computer.

The Hard Drive Partition Map STILL may be MBR, GUID, or APM.

The 1st Big partition is Formatted FAT32 (Windows)
The second partition format is UNKNOWN???

Plugged into a Windows Computer you could try RECOVA (free) found on http://filehippo.com

Windows harddrive repair utilities
THESE WILL NOT WORK WELL IF THE DRIVE IS PARTITIONED GUID OR APM, only if it is MBR partitioned.
http://system-repair-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

Free Windows Data Recovery Utilities
http://lifehacker.com/5237503/five-best-free-data-recovery-tools

QUESTION: I found a Recuva on this site, is this what you meant? But I couldn't run it while the hard drive was inserted, instead I had to download an .exe for the PC. Is there an app that I can use to run while it is inserted, or is it a program I need to download? I wasn't sure I had the right one as what you had suggested. And can I run an app on my Mac, or you recommend PC is better? Just asking as I am using a friend's PC, and so am careful if I have to download any program, and would rather not if other options are available. In any case, please do let me know what you recommend trying at this point.

ANSWER: It is a WINDOWS formatted partition. To attempt repair or recovery, it should be done on a Windows computer.
There are utilities the work on Mac that may RECOVER data, DATA RESCUE 4. You can download and run it in demo mode, It will take many hours, If it finds files to recover, you need ANOTHER hard drive to save them on. You recover one file and test it, if the file works, you pay $100, they send an email with the activation code, you enter the code and recover all the files.

RECOVA is a Windows utility, runs only on Windows. If you plug the drive into a Windows computer, and it does not show up, then the partitioning used is possibly the problem.

YOU STILL HAVE NOT POSTED THE PARTITIONING ON THE DRIVE - GUID, APM, or MBR - this is important.
Disk Utility will tell you.

1] DOES the drive show up (1 or both partitions) plugged into a Mac?
2] DOES the drive show up (1 or both partitions) plugged into WINDOWS?
3] HOW is the drive partitioned?
4] DO you understand that the partitioning is IMPORTANT?

QUESTION: I am looking on Disk Utility for GUID, APM, or MBR and don't see these terms anywhere. I've checked and double checked, and checked some more.

One partition is MS-DOS (FAT32), and this is the one having problems The other is Mac OS Extended (Journaled), and this is still working just fine.

Q&A:

Both

Only the FAT32 shows up.

3] HOW is the drive partitioned?

The FAT32 is 880 GB, the other is 120. Also FAT and OS as described above.

Answer
My FIRST post had directions and links for Disk Utility.
You plug the drive in.
You open Disk Utility.
You select the Device (not the indented partitions)
You Click the Partition Tab, you look at the info at the bottom. OR click the Options button.
The video links about Disk Utility demonstrate this.

I am sorry, I am done with this series of questions.

Macintosh OS

David Anders