Macintosh OS/Clean Install

Question
Hi Jeff,

I'm thinking about doing a clean install of Yosemite 10.10.1 to try and iron out any bugs I've encountered since just upgrading directly from Snow Leopard in October last year.

If I use Carbon Copy Cloner, will all the settings I have in Safari, such as favourites in my toolbar as well as many folders I have containing links to various websites in the side bar (accessed via the three lines of dots at the left hand side of the toolbar) still be in the same places after the clean install?

Thanks,

Answer
Dave,

No, that won't work.

A clean install is literally - nothing. Wiping the HD and starting from scratch.

You MIGHT have good results from a clean install and *then* a migration from your prior system (your Carbon copy clone.)  You might not too. It's going to copy everything back from your user on your clone to your new user.

I don't believe that will restore your shortcuts (what the drives/etc on the left sidebar of the finder) but I do believe it will restore safari.

Hope that helps,

Jeff

Macintosh OS

Jeff Greenberg