Macintosh OS/Clean Install

Hi Jeff,

I'm thinking about doing a clean install of Yosemite 10.10.1 to try and iron out any bugs I've encountered since just upgrading directly from Snow Leopard in October last year.

If I use Carbon Copy Cloner, will all the settings I have in Safari, such as favourites in my toolbar as well as many folders I have containing links to various websites in the side bar (accessed via the three lines of dots at the left hand side of the toolbar) still be in the same places after the clean install?

No, that won't work.

A clean install is literally - nothing. Wiping the HD and starting from scratch.

You MIGHT have good results from a clean install and *then* a migration from your prior system (your Carbon copy clone.)  You might not too. It's going to copy everything back from your user on your clone to your new user.

I don't believe that will restore your shortcuts (what the drives/etc on the left sidebar of the finder) but I do believe it will restore safari.

Hope that helps,

Macintosh OS

Jeff Greenberg

I can comfortably answer most basic/advanced questions regarding Macintosh hardware and software - nowadays only OSX. In fact, if it's prior to 10.3, there's a good chance I'll reject your question. Forget OS9 stuff - Igave up OS 9 ten years ago). Please do not ask me about OS9. My particular specialties are in Video editing/DVD authoring. I am a certified trainer in the "pro apps" (Final Cut, DVDSP, Soundtrack, Motion). I have been using Macs since 1985.

I'm an Apple Cert. Trainer for FCP, DVD SP, since the inception of this program. I've was
certified as an Apple Cert. Technician back in 1989.

Videography, Macworld, Tibits

BA film- Penn State. Certifications from Apple, Adobe and Avid for training.