Macintosh OS/Make and print return address labels

QUESTION: I used to be able to open my address book and click on the 30 cards for my mailing address and then select all and the click on file and then click on print.  When I clicked on print all 30 address labels would appear on the screen ready to print.  For some reason, and I don"t know why, when I click on select all and then click on print none of the return address labels appear.  It used to show the 30 labels and then I would be able to add a picture and change the text color and print 30 return address labels.  I don't understand why it is that when I click on print none of the labels show up.

Thank you

ANSWER: Martha,

I'm going to take a stab at this.  Without knowing what OS you are using, it might not be the same, but I'm hoping it will be.

When you choose your print option, does the print window come up very small with only the printer's name, a preset and some buttons?  If it does, you need to click on the little arrow to the right of the printer's name.  That will enlarge the window to include a lot more information.  You should then see the preview of what you will be getting on the left.

Now, when it comes to changing text color, I'm drawing a blank.  If you can tell me how you USED to do it (in what Operating System), that might help me find where to look.  I'm using 10.6.8 - if you are higher than that, it may be something happening in a system for which I am not familiar.  

Let me know if I have fixed part of your problem, and, with more info, I will try to figure out the other things.

QUESTION: I am using Mavericks and the address book.  I just printed 30 labels for return address labels and now it won't do it....

Martha, have you tried shutting down your computer and restarting it?  That's step number 1.  If nothing changes, then restart it again, but as soon as the screen turns black and before it bongs, press down option-command-p-r and hold them down for 5 bongs.  Then release and let the computer start up as before.  Try again to print.

If that doesn't work, get back to me and I will explain another option.  I'm not sure where Maverick puts things, but if we can locate the preferences file, we may be able to delete the ones for the printing of the address book and let it recreate one.

Macintosh OS

Debba Robinson

AppleWorks 6, Systems up to 10.3.5, general trouble-shooting of hardware and some software.

In years past I taught computer K-8 and helped maintain Macs using sytems 7 and 8. Since 2001, I have not been working with computers daily, aside from doing my own work. I dabble in helping people out and enjoy the challenge of trying to figure out answers to your problems. Systems 7, 8, 9 and 10 are all in my repertoire now, at various levels of expertise. Please, NO networking questions.