Macintosh OS/size of folder

I spend the time machine back up folder on my external drive.
I highlighted that folder, clicked " command I ", to calculate the
size of the folders contents.

This command I function just remains fixed on CALCULATING SIZE
but never provides the info.

The function calculates any other item I request, on that drive,  but won't respond to calculate the' back up'  folder.
Can you suggest anything ?

Depending on the age of the backup, it can take an hour or more to figure out the size.
Let it run. It can have 500,000, a million, or more files. It has a whole lot of special links.

Terminal has a tmutil for viewing techy info about time machine.

If time machine is the only file on the drive, it is taking up the size of hd minus free space.

Time Machine Tips

Time Machine Troubleshooting

Macintosh OS

David Anders

Seattle - The Computer Guy - 15 yr veteran Mac/PC/network problem solving. Clients are design firms, artists, freelancers and photographers. PLEASE PLEASE provide EXACT info for Mac Model and OS Version. RAM installed - added cards - external devices - recent changes. Do you do MONTHLY MAINTENANCE? With what Utility? What you have tried and what result do you want.

First computer experience 1969. Worked in 3 computer stores. Setup First Mac and First IBM-PC.