Macintosh OS/sleepmode

Jeff :

A new behaviour (on MY mac mini. OS X.10.4 ) I have not
seen before.

I leave the computer running, downloading something, or not.
I turn the  LED monitor off to save power. I return, in 20 ,0r
240 minutes, to find the computer has reverted to sleep mode,
and a version of sleep mode I don't recognize :
It requires I enter my password to return to operative mode   (rather than just click the mouse)
I enter password, and see the desktop has to be rebuilt, as if the mac mini had been rebooted from being OFF ! But it had
never been shut off !

Isn't this weird behavior ?
The mac mini has presented this new  behavior since the recent OSX update.

Any idea what this is all about ?

I don't have any easy answers here...

You might try going to Apple Menu> System Preferences > Security > General.

There's a security feature in 10.10 (don't recall if it's 10.4)  that has the option to require the password after sleep or a screen saver.

Perhaps it's on and set to a larger value than your normal sleep...and this may be on..

On the why it changed? No idea.  

Macintosh OS

Jeff Greenberg

I can comfortably answer most basic/advanced questions regarding Macintosh hardware and software - nowadays only OSX. In fact, if it's prior to 10.3, there's a good chance I'll reject your question. Forget OS9 stuff - Igave up OS 9 ten years ago). Please do not ask me about OS9. My particular specialties are in Video editing/DVD authoring. I am a certified trainer in the "pro apps" (Final Cut, DVDSP, Soundtrack, Motion). I have been using Macs since 1985.

I'm an Apple Cert. Trainer for FCP, DVD SP, since the inception of this program. I've was
certified as an Apple Cert. Technician back in 1989.

Videography, Macworld, Tibits

BA film- Penn State. Certifications from Apple, Adobe and Avid for training.