Macintosh OS/email pop account

Hi Jeff,

My partner has not received email on her desktop since 4th July and we cannot find any glitch in the system that has been working fine for years.

Her email is ; and she has checked that her website and mail details are correct on the cpanel there. Her mail is forwarded to her gmail account  - this is still working fine, but although all the settings are unchanged on gmail and mail preference settings on the mac, the mail is not being sent to her computer.

What we are wondering is whether the fault/glitch has to do with upgrading of the software. She currently has Safari version 5.1.10, and this appears to now be out of date, however she cannot upgrade her Safari on the current OS system 10.6.8

She doesn't want to leap strait up to the most recent OS upgrade, just far enough to be able to have an OS that works with its Safari/mail. Can you advise us on the best upgrade she can make without losing the ability to use Adobe CS3?

Thanks for your time hope you can help.

I'm not sure what's wrong. My guess is that it's NOT an Apple issue...but a change on the Gmail side..

And keeping CS3 compatibility may be a problem....

Apple/Google updates their software (and backend software) to maximumly protect users.

Some thoughts:

I'm unclear from your email, is Gmail and the webmail interface for her account working?

There's no way to upgrade safari without updating the OS. And I think Apple wants you at a minimum of 10.7.5.

This link seems to indicate that she can update to 10.7 or even 10.8

Outside of that, if the browser isn't working, the only real solution (a workaround) is to try downloading either Chrome, Firefox or Opera and seeing if any of them solve that problem.

I suspect something may have changed on the google backend. Before you do anything else, please make sure you have a backup.

You might want to try adding a Gmail (or her native email) account to Apple Mail again. If this works, the logical thing would be to then delete the not working account - but be worked, mail MAY delete the older emails.

So, how would I approach this safely? I'd create a new user, try adding the accounts to MAIL and seeing if they work. If they do, then you can do it again to your main user account.

If it doesn't work, there's nothing you can do, short of upgrading the OS - which it looks like can happen, up to 10.8  

Macintosh OS

Jeff Greenberg

I can comfortably answer most basic/advanced questions regarding Macintosh hardware and software - nowadays only OSX. In fact, if it's prior to 10.3, there's a good chance I'll reject your question. Forget OS9 stuff - Igave up OS 9 ten years ago). Please do not ask me about OS9. My particular specialties are in Video editing/DVD authoring. I am a certified trainer in the "pro apps" (Final Cut, DVDSP, Soundtrack, Motion). I have been using Macs since 1985.

I'm an Apple Cert. Trainer for FCP, DVD SP, since the inception of this program. I've was
certified as an Apple Cert. Technician back in 1989.

Videography, Macworld, Tibits

BA film- Penn State. Certifications from Apple, Adobe and Avid for training.