Macintosh OS/Nonresponsive iTune tracks

Question
OSX Yosemite, Version 10.10.5, Mac Mini (Mid 2010)
 Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Memory 4GB 1333 Mhz DDRS
 Dear Sir,
 My friend's computer suffered a lightning strike 2 years ago resulting in a reinstall. The life-saving operation messed up some of the organizational functioning of some systems and files. The chief concern is that 20% of her songs in her iTunes library are nonresponsive when double clicking them to play resulting in the spinning wheel of death and the only way to close iTunes is to do a force quit computer shut down. It's very strange. I place a nonresponsive track into the trash, then drag it into the desktop and it can play okay from there, but after dragging that same desktop song back into iTunes and attempting to play it, iTunes skips it like it doesn't exist or it attempts to play it with the song title shown on top of the page with the time counter stuck on zero seconds and at the same time freezing up iTunes.
 Do you think upgrading to El Capitan will help organize the song files properly? I told her not to open iTunes again until we get a good direction and advice from you. Thank you for your time and service.

Answer
NO, upgrading to El Capitan is not recommended. The third bug fix was just released, I would wait for the fourth.
Google "El Capitan site:macworld.com"   and "el capitan should I update"

BACKUP iTunes Media folder, TWICE.

Create a new user "Test User"  with admin rights.
Copy [OPTION key down] the Music Folder to the HardDrive, so the new user can access.
(OPTION KEY down will COPY, NOT MOVE a file or folder)  (Green circle with plus icon)  Practice this first.
HD > USERS > UserName > Music > iTunes > iTunes Media > Music

Log Out and Login as new "Test User"
Open iTunes and import the contents of the Music folder and TEST

If the above seems to work, try this
https://www.google.com/webhp?q=rebuild%20itunes%20library

http://www.mcelhearn.com/how-to-rebuild-your-itunes-library/
Every now and then, an iTunes Library shows problems. You may have tracks or songs that disappear in the library, but that are still in your iTunes Media folder. Or playlists may change or disappear. Or there may be other, inexplicable problems.
One way to try and fix these issues is to rebuild your iTunes library. Iíve done it from time to time, and, once, it even fixed some issues creating Genius playlists.
Itís a simple process, but one that may take a while if you have a lot of content in your library. Hereís how you do it. (You may not need this page now, but bookmark it for when you do.)  

Macintosh OS

David Anders