(This is not a spam or a homework question)
I was wondering would you please explain to me in a simple way that I can understand: how can you tell if your mac has a vires, apart from running Norton?

What are the symptoms? Make a list. There are no viruses for Mac. There are adware, malware, scareware, scamware, and hijackers.
Most are on websites on the internet, many need to be INSTALLED by the Mac User. is a useful source of information. is another (Windows specific, sorta).
Malwarebytes purchased AdwareMedic from last year. The name is now Malwarebytes for Mac.

Norton is a poor choice for Mac protection, also a poor choice for Windows. McAfee is a bad choice.
Avira Free for Mac is sometimes suggested.   AVG Free for Windows.  Malwarebytes for Windows.    Mac Malware Guide : Am I infected?    “There are no Mac viruses”      A look back at 12 years of Mac malware    Do You Need Mac Antivirus Software in 2013?    Does My Mac Need Antivirus?

Google "Am I Infected"

Macintosh OS

David Anders

Seattle - The Computer Guy - 15 yr veteran Mac/PC/network problem solving. Clients are design firms, artists, freelancers and photographers. PLEASE PLEASE provide EXACT info for Mac Model and OS Version. RAM installed - added cards - external devices - recent changes. Do you do MONTHLY MAINTENANCE? With what Utility? What you have tried and what result do you want.

First computer experience 1969. Worked in 3 computer stores. Setup First Mac and First IBM-PC.