Macintosh OS/MacBook Pro 2008

Good morning David and thank you for reading my question. I have a 2008 MacBook Pro with Yosemite that will not boot now. It does not make the chime sound, and the screen is black but the power light does come on. I have read some Apple forums and found out this is a common problem with that year's model. My question is, is there anything I can do to fix it or should I take it to a repair shop? Thanks!

There are things to try - common to many problems.  I assume you have tried these.
Zap Pram  Reset SMC  Keypress Reset
Link from above link

Plug an external monitor in and try several restarts.

Force shutdown, hold T key at restart
Force shutdown, hold SHIFT + S at restart

Remove battery
Remove AC Adapter
Hold Power button down for 10 seconds
While continuing to hold Power button down
Plug AC Adapter in and continue to hold Power button down for another 10 seconds.

Get diagnosis from Genius Bar - they have quit repairing this model.
Read up on model at
Buy a used Macbook from Other World Computing,,
Yugster has a used Macbook   $279

Macintosh OS

David Anders

Seattle - The Computer Guy - 15 yr veteran Mac/PC/network problem solving. Clients are design firms, artists, freelancers and photographers. PLEASE PLEASE provide EXACT info for Mac Model and OS Version. RAM installed - added cards - external devices - recent changes. Do you do MONTHLY MAINTENANCE? With what Utility? What you have tried and what result do you want.

First computer experience 1969. Worked in 3 computer stores. Setup First Mac and First IBM-PC.