Macs/Apples/External Hard Drive

Question
QUESTION: Elia,

I have an 2007 IMac running OS 10.4.11.  Recently I can't seem to get the computer to recognize my Passport Ext. drive. It seems to be reading it on start-up, however the icon for it does not appear on my desktop. I have information on it I would like to at least retrieve.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give,

Jim

ANSWER: Run Disk Utility from Utilities folder. Check the health of your drive. If there are any issues try repairing it.
I have been using Disk Warrior to keep my HDDs healthy for many years. Costs $100 but worth every penny.

QUESTION: I tried to verify and repair the "Passport" drive in Disk Utilities. It said that it was unable to read directory...input/output error. Also 1 non HFS volume checked and could not be repaired because of an error.
Said the drive was not mounted at mount point. If there is another way to get it working I would rather not have to spend the $100.00, however if that's the only way I would do it. It does show up in disk utilities, but will not mount on desktop.

Jim

Answer
Well it's all depends on how much the data on the drive is important and what your goal is.   If you want to save and don't mind loosing the data it's one thing. If you want to get it back then it's another goal. If you want your data back then my course of action would be ( this is what I did about a year ago when the HDD went bad)

1. Purchase DiskWarrior. This is the best utility to recover directories - the most common problem on mac computers. Follow the instructions.
If they say the drive is unrecoverable or malfunction - they give you an option to evacuate files form a disk image they temporary mount. You are going to need where to put the files though.

2. If DW fails. then the only option would be Data Rescue form Prosoft ($99). http://www.prosofteng.com/products/data_rescue.php. This app can read and evacuate almost anything if the HDD is not physically damaged. It doens't attempt to fix the issues. It lets you get your files back.

Note that both of the utilities DON'T touch your HDD, which is of utmost importance.
DW scans and offers directory replacement only if it can be done.
DR doen'st touch it at all.

I WOULD TRY TO SAVE ON DATA RECOVERY. AND I WOULDN'T TRY OTHER APPLICATIONS. ANY APP THAT MAKES ANY CHANGE ON YOUR DRIVE IN ATTEMPTS TO "REPAIR" IT CREATES A HIGH RISK OF MAKNG THINGS WORSE.  

Macs/Apples

Elia Kanaki