Macs/Apples/Flash Plug-in problems...

Hello Ed!

I am a new(ish) Mac user. I use it mainly for DJing and whatnot, but when I'm farting around on the internet (watching YouTube), I once in a while tend to have to uninstall, then reinstall Flash Player (OS 10, MBP 2009 unibody model). It's like Safari and FireFox just give up loading it. Any thoughts on a more permanent fix? Your help is MUCH appreciated!

Thanks for writing! I'm not sure what version of OS X you're using, but if it's older (10.6, 10.7) the flash plugin might not be best suited to it, being an updated version itself.
Also, the flash plugin may be using a lot of memory.  If your computer has only a couple GB of RAM, the plugin may be maxing it out.  Check using Acrivity Monitor in /Applications/Utilities on your computer.  If it is in fact using an excessive amount of memory, try quitting other applications.
Also, make sure your hard drive is at least 10% free, so the OS has room for paging/scratch space.
Lastly, repair permissions using Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility by selecting the hard drive in the list, and clicking repair permissions.
None of these are sure fire solutions, but they might get you closer to solving the flash plugin loading problem.

Good luck!

Ed Dyer

I don't answer Mac OS 9 questions anymore, thank you. Current Tech: Mac OS X 10.4 - 10.8, Some shell scripting, cron, Mac OS X Server 10.2-10.6, AD-OD Integration, Automator, Word Press Blogging, All CURRENT Mac models, iLife '09 and previous, iWork '09 and previous, Apple Remote Desktop, WiFi, iOS jailbreaking/unlocking, some MS SharePoint (design, not development) Devices: iPhone(original-4s) & iPad(through 3rd gen), AppleTV(all models), Airport Express, Time Capsule Old Skool, meaning I have this experience as a base, but don't answer questions on it anymore: Mac OS Environment 7.5.3-OS 9 (please upgrade for pete's sake!), PowerBook G3/G4(all models), Mac/Windows Networking, PowerPC 604-G4 desktop models, Outlook 2001, Photoshop 7 and previous, Flash MX, Dreamweaver MX Mac OS X Public Beta-10.4, all Windows Server operating systems and use. Dabbler: Newton 2100 w/ WiFi and NSync, Yellow Dog Linux, Suse Linux (PPC), Ubuntu Linux, Vista Business

I worked in IT for ten years with a specialty in Macintosh technologies and Project Management.
I've worked with the Macintosh Operating system and various machines since my first PowerMac 8500 running Mac OS 7.5.3 in 1996. I support my friends and family in keeping their Macs healthy and upgraded. Now I use a MacBook Pro for our home media network and we're pretty much down to iPads and iPhones for daily use.
Most important: I've also worked on PCs for a number of years with various flavors of Windows(95,98,NT4,2000,2000Server,2K3Server,SBS 2K3Server,Mil,XPHome,XPPro, Vista Business), but I've always used the Mac as my platform of preference.
Publications : VPNs and Outlook(2001)

Mac OS X Certification Alliance, Linked In

Publications : VPNs and Outlook

I'm an Apple Certified System Administrator (ACSA) through 10.4 and have the lower certs as well (ACTC for 10.1 - 10.6), an Apple Certified Help Desk Specialist for 10.3 (ACHDS) and a member of the Apple Consultants Network, as well as an Apple Product Professional for 2002-2009.
I have an MCP cert. from MS as well...

Navy Federal Credit Union (Washington, D.C.) Whole Foods Market (Mid Atlantic Region) Army Times (Washington, D.C.) Children's National Medical Center (Washington, D.C.) Dodge Communications (ATL) ...and a plethora of All Coveredô clients throughout the United States of America (now a part of Konica Minolta)