Macs/Apples/re content when syncing iTunes to iPhone

QUESTION: Hi, we want to be able to use our iPhone as a music player.  Wwe have little computer experience and none with apple products prior to recent purchase of iPhone.  Created an apple ID and purchased songs from itunes store using and downloading the content to our PC.  The songs showed up in iTunes on the iPhone immediately.  We are pleased - and impressed.

We're wondering what to expect...  a friend offered to let me have a bunch of music from his collection.  If I put those songs into iTunes on my pc will they automatically go into the iPhone?

I mean, I know we can put music into iTunes on the pc and play it from iTunes whether we purchased it from the iTunes store or not.  Can we transfer music not purchased from itunes store to our iPhone and play it from the iPhone?

Thank you!\

ANSWER: TR for Benny,
Yes, if you put these songs into iTunes and sync your music to your iPhone, they will go into your phone.

You can transfer music not purchased from iTunes to your phone.

Let me know if you have any follow up questions :-)

QUESTION: Thanks for your reply.  We ripped songs from 3 cd's into iTunes and that part went fine but they do not show up in the iPhone iTunes library.  Can you tell us what settings we are missing - or provide a link that will instruct us?

TR for Benny,
Thanks for your reply!

Apple has a wonderful support website, with how-to's.   Here is the link to an article that explains how to sync content from iTunes with your iOS device:

Good luck and let me know if this still doesn't get you what you need.

Ed Dyer

I don't answer Mac OS 9 questions anymore, thank you. Current Tech: Mac OS X 10.4 - 10.8, Some shell scripting, cron, Mac OS X Server 10.2-10.6, AD-OD Integration, Automator, Word Press Blogging, All CURRENT Mac models, iLife '09 and previous, iWork '09 and previous, Apple Remote Desktop, WiFi, iOS jailbreaking/unlocking, some MS SharePoint (design, not development) Devices: iPhone(original-4s) & iPad(through 3rd gen), AppleTV(all models), Airport Express, Time Capsule Old Skool, meaning I have this experience as a base, but don't answer questions on it anymore: Mac OS Environment 7.5.3-OS 9 (please upgrade for pete's sake!), PowerBook G3/G4(all models), Mac/Windows Networking, PowerPC 604-G4 desktop models, Outlook 2001, Photoshop 7 and previous, Flash MX, Dreamweaver MX Mac OS X Public Beta-10.4, all Windows Server operating systems and use. Dabbler: Newton 2100 w/ WiFi and NSync, Yellow Dog Linux, Suse Linux (PPC), Ubuntu Linux, Vista Business

I worked in IT for ten years with a specialty in Macintosh technologies and Project Management.
I've worked with the Macintosh Operating system and various machines since my first PowerMac 8500 running Mac OS 7.5.3 in 1996. I support my friends and family in keeping their Macs healthy and upgraded. Now I use a MacBook Pro for our home media network and we're pretty much down to iPads and iPhones for daily use.
Most important: I've also worked on PCs for a number of years with various flavors of Windows(95,98,NT4,2000,2000Server,2K3Server,SBS 2K3Server,Mil,XPHome,XPPro, Vista Business), but I've always used the Mac as my platform of preference.
Publications : VPNs and Outlook(2001)

Mac OS X Certification Alliance, Linked In

Publications : VPNs and Outlook

I'm an Apple Certified System Administrator (ACSA) through 10.4 and have the lower certs as well (ACTC for 10.1 - 10.6), an Apple Certified Help Desk Specialist for 10.3 (ACHDS) and a member of the Apple Consultants Network, as well as an Apple Product Professional for 2002-2009.
I have an MCP cert. from MS as well...

Navy Federal Credit Union (Washington, D.C.) Whole Foods Market (Mid Atlantic Region) Army Times (Washington, D.C.) Children's National Medical Center (Washington, D.C.) Dodge Communications (ATL) ...and a plethora of All Coveredô clients throughout the United States of America (now a part of Konica Minolta)