Macs/Apples/The new iMac 21.5"

Dear Ed,
I've been shopping for a replacement for my old iMac G4 and have my eye on the new iMac 21.5" Desktop. I do a lot of video editing for a film and video transfer service that I run here in New Jersey, so I would probably need a computer with maximum processors, speed, and storage.
Would you know if 3.1GHz core i7 is that much of an upgrade over the 2.7 or 2.9 GHz core i5 versions (among the quad core CPU processors)? The same for Nvidia GeForce graphic processors... is GT 650 much of a difference over the GT 640 version? And is Fusion Drive the way to go?

Presently with my old machine, I can burn approx. 90 minutes of content on a DVD-R 120 disk using my dv editing software. Am I correct in assuming I would get a full two hours using the external USB SuperDrive on the newer iMac?

Thanks for your input and any advice in advance.

Thanks for writing!

While the processor and graphics cards on the newer iMac will certainly be upgrades (check for comparisons), the external USB SuperDrive (or any drive for that matter) won't make a difference on the amount of video or data you can store on any optical disc.

Check with other video users to see if a fusion drive is the way to go. I'm using one of the newer hybrid drives from seagate myself, which puts regularly accessed data onto the SSD portion.

Good luck and let me k ow if you have any more questions!

Ed Dyer

I don't answer Mac OS 9 questions anymore, thank you. Current Tech: Mac OS X 10.4 - 10.8, Some shell scripting, cron, Mac OS X Server 10.2-10.6, AD-OD Integration, Automator, Word Press Blogging, All CURRENT Mac models, iLife '09 and previous, iWork '09 and previous, Apple Remote Desktop, WiFi, iOS jailbreaking/unlocking, some MS SharePoint (design, not development) Devices: iPhone(original-4s) & iPad(through 3rd gen), AppleTV(all models), Airport Express, Time Capsule Old Skool, meaning I have this experience as a base, but don't answer questions on it anymore: Mac OS Environment 7.5.3-OS 9 (please upgrade for pete's sake!), PowerBook G3/G4(all models), Mac/Windows Networking, PowerPC 604-G4 desktop models, Outlook 2001, Photoshop 7 and previous, Flash MX, Dreamweaver MX Mac OS X Public Beta-10.4, all Windows Server operating systems and use. Dabbler: Newton 2100 w/ WiFi and NSync, Yellow Dog Linux, Suse Linux (PPC), Ubuntu Linux, Vista Business

I worked in IT for ten years with a specialty in Macintosh technologies and Project Management.
I've worked with the Macintosh Operating system and various machines since my first PowerMac 8500 running Mac OS 7.5.3 in 1996. I support my friends and family in keeping their Macs healthy and upgraded. Now I use a MacBook Pro for our home media network and we're pretty much down to iPads and iPhones for daily use.
Most important: I've also worked on PCs for a number of years with various flavors of Windows(95,98,NT4,2000,2000Server,2K3Server,SBS 2K3Server,Mil,XPHome,XPPro, Vista Business), but I've always used the Mac as my platform of preference.
Publications : VPNs and Outlook(2001)

Mac OS X Certification Alliance, Linked In

Publications : VPNs and Outlook

I'm an Apple Certified System Administrator (ACSA) through 10.4 and have the lower certs as well (ACTC for 10.1 - 10.6), an Apple Certified Help Desk Specialist for 10.3 (ACHDS) and a member of the Apple Consultants Network, as well as an Apple Product Professional for 2002-2009.
I have an MCP cert. from MS as well...

Navy Federal Credit Union (Washington, D.C.) Whole Foods Market (Mid Atlantic Region) Army Times (Washington, D.C.) Children's National Medical Center (Washington, D.C.) Dodge Communications (ATL) ...and a plethora of All Coveredô clients throughout the United States of America (now a part of Konica Minolta)