Macs/Apples/Slow Mac

Hi Elia,

I have a 24-inch, Early 2008 iMac (Processor 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM) running OS X 10.8.4. Out of 319.21 GB I have 151.65 free.   It has in recently months has become painfully slow.

I am wondering if you might have some solution I can try to fix things so it speeds up.  I should also note that I have approximately 11,000 photos stored on it.  I wonder if removing them to an external hard drive would help.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Hi Brian
1. The first thing to do is to check DIsk permissions. HEre is how:
If you see a message that your permissions are set improperly, you may be able to correct the disk’s permissions.

Choose Apple menu > Software Update to make sure you have the latest version of Mac OS X.
Software updates sometimes change a file’s permissions to improve security, so updating your software can solve some permissions problems.

Open Disk Utility, in the Utilities folder in Launchpad.
Select the disk you want to check.
You can verify or repair permissions only on a disk with Mac OS X v10.7 Lion installed.

Click First Aid.
Do one of the following:
Click Verify Disk Permissions to test permissions.

Click Repair Disk Permissions to test and repair permissions.

2. THe second thing is to install more RAM. OSX by itself take more than 2 GB that means you computer have constantly write memory files to the HDD. This slows it down a great deai.

Hope it helps

Elia Kanaki

Any Mac/Apple related questions.