Macs/Apples/Spilled water on MacBook Air 11" (2012)

Hi Ed,

About one hour ago, I accidently spilled a glass of water on my MacBook Air 11" bought in June 2012. I was working on it ( it wasn't plugged in, only running on battery) and it went off as soon as the water hit the keyboard. I lifted it off and wiped it. I didn't attempt to turn it on again. Reading on Mac Forums online (with my iPad), I learned it's best to let it dry for at least 3 days before turning it on and I see there are pro/against tips about blow drying the computer, pro/against tips about turning it upside down to let it dry. I did that first and the towel got wet. It's still upside down although someone else on a forum seems to think it's not a good idea. The closest Apple Store is rather far away and I would have to wait until tomorrow to rent a car to go there. You once helped me solving an issue with my Mac desktop and you saved me a lot of trouble. Are there any steps I should take that you would be aware of? What do you suggest? Thank you. Yolande

You should definitely leave it for a few days before turning it on.  Taking it to an Apple Authorized Service Center will certainly not hurt.
I would find some desiccant packets, or maybe leave the laptop in a ziplock bag (do they come that large?) with rice in order to speed up the drying process.

Good luck!

Ed Dyer

I don't answer Mac OS 9 questions anymore, thank you. Current Tech: Mac OS X 10.4 - 10.8, Some shell scripting, cron, Mac OS X Server 10.2-10.6, AD-OD Integration, Automator, Word Press Blogging, All CURRENT Mac models, iLife '09 and previous, iWork '09 and previous, Apple Remote Desktop, WiFi, iOS jailbreaking/unlocking, some MS SharePoint (design, not development) Devices: iPhone(original-4s) & iPad(through 3rd gen), AppleTV(all models), Airport Express, Time Capsule Old Skool, meaning I have this experience as a base, but don't answer questions on it anymore: Mac OS Environment 7.5.3-OS 9 (please upgrade for pete's sake!), PowerBook G3/G4(all models), Mac/Windows Networking, PowerPC 604-G4 desktop models, Outlook 2001, Photoshop 7 and previous, Flash MX, Dreamweaver MX Mac OS X Public Beta-10.4, all Windows Server operating systems and use. Dabbler: Newton 2100 w/ WiFi and NSync, Yellow Dog Linux, Suse Linux (PPC), Ubuntu Linux, Vista Business

I worked in IT for ten years with a specialty in Macintosh technologies and Project Management.
I've worked with the Macintosh Operating system and various machines since my first PowerMac 8500 running Mac OS 7.5.3 in 1996. I support my friends and family in keeping their Macs healthy and upgraded. Now I use a MacBook Pro for our home media network and we're pretty much down to iPads and iPhones for daily use.
Most important: I've also worked on PCs for a number of years with various flavors of Windows(95,98,NT4,2000,2000Server,2K3Server,SBS 2K3Server,Mil,XPHome,XPPro, Vista Business), but I've always used the Mac as my platform of preference.
Publications : VPNs and Outlook(2001)

Mac OS X Certification Alliance, Linked In

Publications : VPNs and Outlook

I'm an Apple Certified System Administrator (ACSA) through 10.4 and have the lower certs as well (ACTC for 10.1 - 10.6), an Apple Certified Help Desk Specialist for 10.3 (ACHDS) and a member of the Apple Consultants Network, as well as an Apple Product Professional for 2002-2009.
I have an MCP cert. from MS as well...

Navy Federal Credit Union (Washington, D.C.) Whole Foods Market (Mid Atlantic Region) Army Times (Washington, D.C.) Children's National Medical Center (Washington, D.C.) Dodge Communications (ATL) ...and a plethora of All Coveredô clients throughout the United States of America (now a part of Konica Minolta)