Macs/Apples/Backing up and synching

my wife just bought (last night ) the latest iphone 5S    She has a pretty new macbook pro, Mavericks and has updated itunes to 11.2.2.
2 problems:

1)My wife's fairly new macbook pro (mavericks 10.9) suddenly will not do a usb synch with her BRAND NEW iphone 5s that we got last night. It's backed up to icloud but we want to also back it up to her computer hard drive.  It gets "stuck" (11 hrs before I turned it off) on step 6 of the back up and sais "waiting for items to copy"  It's apparently not a rare problem?

2) suddenly, her brand new iphone 5 can't turn on "iCloud backup" (settings--icloud-- "storage and backup" and then down under "backup" her "Icloud backup" is grey and not usable.  It was fine in the store, but then later that nightand this morning doesn't work.

Thanks for writing!  
1. Sometimes a piece of corrupt data will prevent an iPhone or iOS device from synching.  If I were in your situation (and sometimes have been!) I would try un-checking certain categories of data (contacts, music, etc) to synch in iTunes, and see if the sync goes through properly.

2. I am unfamiliar with this situation, but presumably her phone is set not to be able to backup over cellular OR there is some problem with the iCloud account (username or password) on the phone.  Check that the storage limit is also not over.

Apple's support site on the subject:

Good luck and let me know how this goes :-)

Ed Dyer

I don't answer Mac OS 9 questions anymore, thank you. Current Tech: Mac OS X 10.4 - 10.8, Some shell scripting, cron, Mac OS X Server 10.2-10.6, AD-OD Integration, Automator, Word Press Blogging, All CURRENT Mac models, iLife '09 and previous, iWork '09 and previous, Apple Remote Desktop, WiFi, iOS jailbreaking/unlocking, some MS SharePoint (design, not development) Devices: iPhone(original-4s) & iPad(through 3rd gen), AppleTV(all models), Airport Express, Time Capsule Old Skool, meaning I have this experience as a base, but don't answer questions on it anymore: Mac OS Environment 7.5.3-OS 9 (please upgrade for pete's sake!), PowerBook G3/G4(all models), Mac/Windows Networking, PowerPC 604-G4 desktop models, Outlook 2001, Photoshop 7 and previous, Flash MX, Dreamweaver MX Mac OS X Public Beta-10.4, all Windows Server operating systems and use. Dabbler: Newton 2100 w/ WiFi and NSync, Yellow Dog Linux, Suse Linux (PPC), Ubuntu Linux, Vista Business

I worked in IT for ten years with a specialty in Macintosh technologies and Project Management.
I've worked with the Macintosh Operating system and various machines since my first PowerMac 8500 running Mac OS 7.5.3 in 1996. I support my friends and family in keeping their Macs healthy and upgraded. Now I use a MacBook Pro for our home media network and we're pretty much down to iPads and iPhones for daily use.
Most important: I've also worked on PCs for a number of years with various flavors of Windows(95,98,NT4,2000,2000Server,2K3Server,SBS 2K3Server,Mil,XPHome,XPPro, Vista Business), but I've always used the Mac as my platform of preference.
Publications : VPNs and Outlook(2001)

Mac OS X Certification Alliance, Linked In

Publications : VPNs and Outlook

I'm an Apple Certified System Administrator (ACSA) through 10.4 and have the lower certs as well (ACTC for 10.1 - 10.6), an Apple Certified Help Desk Specialist for 10.3 (ACHDS) and a member of the Apple Consultants Network, as well as an Apple Product Professional for 2002-2009.
I have an MCP cert. from MS as well...

Navy Federal Credit Union (Washington, D.C.) Whole Foods Market (Mid Atlantic Region) Army Times (Washington, D.C.) Children's National Medical Center (Washington, D.C.) Dodge Communications (ATL) ...and a plethora of All Coveredô clients throughout the United States of America (now a part of Konica Minolta)