Macs/Apples/External hard drive

Question
I am a Mac user and have a 1 TB hard drive. It seemed to crash, but finally after buying a new cord it is working again. However, here is the weird part. It was partitioned via MBR, and the smaller partition (Mac OS Extended Journal) is still working. The bigger partition (FAT 32) does not have any of the files there, only the main folder names with a .lnk after it. The drive shows that it is completely full, although the .lnk only takes up a few kb worth. I looked online to try to determine what this was and found it was a Microsoft shortcut, but my question is, where are my files? It shows they are still taking up disk space, but I have no idea where and how to find them. I tried to verify and repair this partition, but no change. Please note that it's not worth recovering if any fee is involved, since they are not crucial files. I'm wondering if there is some simple ways to bring back the files that disappeared, since the drive is recognized when I plug it in and it shows the files are still there, I just can't find them.

Answer
J, thanks for writing and sorry for the delay.  It's been a while since I've done file recovery.  First things first.

1. Open Disk Utility and attempt to repair the drive (/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility)
a. select the disk on the left
b. Click repair

Give that a shot first.  

My "MBR" do you mean Master Boot Record?

Thanks and good luck.  Follow-up if you need anything further, or if this does not solve the issue.

Macs/Apples

Ed Dyer