Macs/Apples/IM RECOVERING 2

Question
QUESTION: (This is not a spam question or a homework question)
I was wondering would you please explain to me in a simple way that I can understand: wot does it mean when a mac computer has internet recovery?

Thanks

ANSWER: Cameron,
Thanks for writing!

Apple has a decent tech note on it here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

"...OS X Internet Recovery
Newer Macs include the ability to start up directly from an Internet-based version OS X Recovery. Your Mac automatically uses this feature when the Recovery System on the startup drive isn't available. For example, if your startup drive encounters an issue, or if your startup drive has been replaced or erased. Internet Recovery lets you start your Mac directly from Apple's servers. Starting up from this system performs a quick test of your memory and hard drive to check for hardware issues.
Internet Recovery initially asks you to select a Wi-Fi network and enter a network password when needed. Next, Internet Recovery downloads and starts from a Recovery System image. From there, you are offered the same utilities and options as the Recovery System on a startup drive.
Some Macs that came with OS X Snow Leopard can use Internet Recovery after installing OS X Lion or later and a software update.

Requirements for reinstalling OS X using Recovery
Reinstalling OS X using Recovery requires broadband access to the Internet using a Wi-Fi or Ethernet connection. OS X is downloaded over the Internet from Apple when OS X Recovery is used for reinstallation. You must use DHCP on your Wi-Fi or Ethernet network to reinstall OS X using OS X Recovery.
If you bought OS X from the Mac App Store, you may be prompted to enter the Apple ID and password you used to purchase OS X.
The time required to download OS X varies, depending on the speed of your Internet connection and the version of OS X you are installing. If your Internet connection has requirements or settings that are not supported by OS X Recovery, change the settings to a supported configuration for the duration of your OS X reinstall, or look for another place where you're permitted to access the Internet (like the home of a friend or family member, or possibly your place of employment with appropriate permission)...."

Good luck!

QUESTION: (This is not a spam question or a homework question)
I was wondering would you tell me: how can people who have mac computers tell if they have internet recovery?

Thanks

Answer
Cameron,
Thanks for the follow-up!  

That same support article says "...Newer Macs include the ability to start up directly from an Internet-based version OS X Recovery...Some Macs that came with OS X Snow Leopard can use Internet Recovery after installing OS X Lion or later and a software update."  The link on "Software update leads us here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202313

That page lists models that can accept EFI firmware updates:
"MacBook Pro (13-inch, Early 2011)
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2011)
MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2011)
iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2011)
iMac (27-inch, Mid 2011)
MacBook (13-inch, Mid 2010)
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010)
Mac mini (Mid 2010)
MacBook Pro (15-inch and 17-inch, Mid 2010)
iMac (21.5-inch and 27-inch, Mid 2010)
MacBook Air (11-inch and 13-inch, Late 2010)"

It's probably safe to say that if you have a computer newer than any listed above, you have the option to recover over the internet, assuming your network is fast enough and meets the parameters listed in the first article.  

Good luck!

Macs/Apples

Ed Dyer