Macs/Apples/mac compatible WiFi router?

Question
QUESTION: I just purchased a WiFi router. I have a macbook with a OS X 10.10.5 system. the instructions that I got with the router are the typical enter 192.168.8.1 into the address bar. When I follow the directions exactly as written the login screen doesn't come up on my macbook.

I have a hand-me-down Windows XP laptop, so I was able to set the router up with that, but this old PC is bound to break down and die one day, so I need to know how I can access the router, for instance if I have to reset it someday, and I no longer have the old PC to depend on. The router is a Medialink, 300 Mbps Wireless N Router.

ANSWER: Denise,
Thanks for writing!  Can you please provide a screenshot of your attempt to get the router login screen?  Command(apple)-Shift-3 will generate one.  What web browser are you using?  
Are you connected to it via an ethernet cable when setting it up?
Can you please tell me if your laptop's IP address is also in the 192.68.8.x range?

Thanks very much, we'll figure this out.

QUESTION: Thanks for getting back to me, Ed. There's no need to create a screen shot. When I enter the 192.168.8.1 number into the address bar of the web page, instead of the router login page coming up, a page telling me that it's unable to connect comes up.

I'm able to use WiFi now on my laptop, so I don't want to try to replicate the page that comes up. I used both Firefox and Safari to get the login page to come, neither worked.

Yes, I was connected by an ethernet cable when attempting to access the router page.

On my previous router, before it finally died, it went out on me once and I was able to reconfigure the router on this same laptop, the router login screen came up when I entered 192.168.8.1 into the address bar.

For future reference, are you suggesting that entering the number 192.68.8x might work?

Answer
Denise,
Thanks for writing back! I'm suggesting you first find out your own IP address, and then try .1 in the last octet.
http://osxdaily.com/2010/11/21/find-ip-address-mac/

If your IP address is 192.168.1.100 try logging in to the router with 192.168.1.1.

Best of luck!

Macs/Apples

Ed Dyer