Macs/Apples/Disappearing icons

Question
QUESTION: Hi,

My system is OS X Yosemite, 10.10.3.

For no apparent reason three random icons have disappeared from the dock, and also from the Applications folder.  The names of the applications are still there - Photos, System Preferences and Microsoft's Word - and the programme still opens when I click the empty space.  All the icons are still in the Launchpad icon, but I don't seem to be able to move those into the dock.

Yosemite is running on a five-year-old 17" MacBook Pro which had to have another hard disk installed early last year and which otherwise has been working fine.  I also have a more recent 13" version where the icons on the dock are intact.

You might well ask why bother when I can still open the applications! The reason is that I find it annoying, don't know how it happened, and, as with all things Mac, feel that there must be a reason for the disappearances.  Also, I don't want it to keep happening!

Hoping that you can help!

Leone

ANSWER: Leone,
Thanks for writing! Although I don't know why these icons have disappeared only to replace them with blank space, I can try to help you resolve it.

What happens when you right click (or control click) the empty space? Do you get options? If so, I would try to remove from dock, and then re-add to the dock by dragging back in from the applications folder.

It would also help if you would include a screen shot.

Thanks!

QUESTION: Hello Ed,

When I Control/click on the empty space I do get Options, but when I choose the "remove from the dock" option, the name also disappears, and the space closes up.  This is all very well, but I still don't have the icons in the Application folder, and, as I said before, I cannot use the icons in the launchpad - they just don't move.

I have 2 screen shots: (not sure that these have uploaded - they don't show up anywhere.It would be so much easier with an email.

The first is a shot of the Dock, showing the blank space for Photos, and the residual name.  Have tried to create icons - I get the icon with a small black arrow, or, in the case of photos, all I seem to get is something called Photos alias. Also, the icon for Microsoft Word looks like the Safari icon.  I have probably done too much fiddling!!

Let me know if the screen shots haven't loaded, and I can send them via email.

Thanks for your quick reply!

Leone

Answer
screenshot-sys prfs
screenshot-sys prfs  
Leone,
Thanks for following up.  I don't see the screenshots, but you can email to: ed.dyer+allexperts@gmail.com.

It certainly does sound like you've done some fiddling.  You said these icons aren't available for you to add to the dock?

System Preferences, Photos, and Microsoft Office (as a folder) should be located in /Applications (see attached screenshot).
To add them to the dock, you need only drag and drop them into the dock.  Please let me know if this works.  

Macs/Apples

Ed Dyer