Macs/Apples/Disappearing icons

My system is OS X Yosemite, 10.10.3.

For no apparent reason three random icons have disappeared from the dock, and also from the Applications folder.  The names of the applications are still there - Photos, System Preferences and Microsoft's Word - and the programme still opens when I click the empty space.  All the icons are still in the Launchpad icon, but I don't seem to be able to move those into the dock.

Yosemite is running on a five-year-old 17" MacBook Pro which had to have another hard disk installed early last year and which otherwise has been working fine.  I also have a more recent 13" version where the icons on the dock are intact.

You might well ask why bother when I can still open the applications! The reason is that I find it annoying, don't know how it happened, and, as with all things Mac, feel that there must be a reason for the disappearances.  Also, I don't want it to keep happening!

Hoping that you can help!

ANSWER: Leone,
Thanks for writing! Although I don't know why these icons have disappeared only to replace them with blank space, I can try to help you resolve it.

What happens when you right click (or control click) the empty space? Do you get options? If so, I would try to remove from dock, and then re-add to the dock by dragging back in from the applications folder.

It would also help if you would include a screen shot.

When I Control/click on the empty space I do get Options, but when I choose the "remove from the dock" option, the name also disappears, and the space closes up.  This is all very well, but I still don't have the icons in the Application folder, and, as I said before, I cannot use the icons in the launchpad - they just don't move.

I have 2 screen shots: (not sure that these have uploaded - they don't show up anywhere.It would be so much easier with an email.

The first is a shot of the Dock, showing the blank space for Photos, and the residual name.  Have tried to create icons - I get the icon with a small black arrow, or, in the case of photos, all I seem to get is something called Photos alias. Also, the icon for Microsoft Word looks like the Safari icon.  I have probably done too much fiddling!!

Let me know if the screen shots haven't loaded, and I can send them via email.

Thanks for your quick reply!

screenshot-sys prfs
screenshot-sys prfs  
Thanks for following up.  I don't see the screenshots, but you can email to:

It certainly does sound like you've done some fiddling.  You said these icons aren't available for you to add to the dock?

System Preferences, Photos, and Microsoft Office (as a folder) should be located in /Applications (see attached screenshot).
To add them to the dock, you need only drag and drop them into the dock.  Please let me know if this works.  

Ed Dyer

I don't answer Mac OS 9 questions anymore, thank you. Current Tech: Mac OS X 10.4 - 10.8, Some shell scripting, cron, Mac OS X Server 10.2-10.6, AD-OD Integration, Automator, Word Press Blogging, All CURRENT Mac models, iLife '09 and previous, iWork '09 and previous, Apple Remote Desktop, WiFi, iOS jailbreaking/unlocking, some MS SharePoint (design, not development) Devices: iPhone(original-4s) & iPad(through 3rd gen), AppleTV(all models), Airport Express, Time Capsule Old Skool, meaning I have this experience as a base, but don't answer questions on it anymore: Mac OS Environment 7.5.3-OS 9 (please upgrade for pete's sake!), PowerBook G3/G4(all models), Mac/Windows Networking, PowerPC 604-G4 desktop models, Outlook 2001, Photoshop 7 and previous, Flash MX, Dreamweaver MX Mac OS X Public Beta-10.4, all Windows Server operating systems and use. Dabbler: Newton 2100 w/ WiFi and NSync, Yellow Dog Linux, Suse Linux (PPC), Ubuntu Linux, Vista Business

I worked in IT for ten years with a specialty in Macintosh technologies and Project Management.
I've worked with the Macintosh Operating system and various machines since my first PowerMac 8500 running Mac OS 7.5.3 in 1996. I support my friends and family in keeping their Macs healthy and upgraded. Now I use a MacBook Pro for our home media network and we're pretty much down to iPads and iPhones for daily use.
Most important: I've also worked on PCs for a number of years with various flavors of Windows(95,98,NT4,2000,2000Server,2K3Server,SBS 2K3Server,Mil,XPHome,XPPro, Vista Business), but I've always used the Mac as my platform of preference.
Publications : VPNs and Outlook(2001)

Mac OS X Certification Alliance, Linked In

Publications : VPNs and Outlook

I'm an Apple Certified System Administrator (ACSA) through 10.4 and have the lower certs as well (ACTC for 10.1 - 10.6), an Apple Certified Help Desk Specialist for 10.3 (ACHDS) and a member of the Apple Consultants Network, as well as an Apple Product Professional for 2002-2009.
I have an MCP cert. from MS as well...

Navy Federal Credit Union (Washington, D.C.) Whole Foods Market (Mid Atlantic Region) Army Times (Washington, D.C.) Children's National Medical Center (Washington, D.C.) Dodge Communications (ATL) ...and a plethora of All Coveredô clients throughout the United States of America (now a part of Konica Minolta)