Magic and Illusion/Name of this illusion

Question
Hi John

One day I watched this mentalism trick on youtube but I dont recall what he said the name of the illusion was.

It goes like this. You ask a spectator to choose any # 1 through 50, but it has to be a 2 digit #, each # has to be different, and each # has to be odd. Statistically most people will pick the number 35, but it doesn't always work. Do you happen to know the name of this trick? And if not, what name would you give it?

Happy Holidays

Answer
Hi Sterling

I cannot discuss this in any more detail as you haven't posted in Private Mode.

However ..... I will say that the effect you describe is ancient and doesn't have a formal name. I've seen it in print in work by Banachek (Steve Shaw) and others (including myself) with different titles. It uses Psychological principles so I'd maybe call it The 1-50 Psychological Number Force. I wouldn't EVER tell the audience the title (!) .... that would just be for my own or my students' reference.

I'd also add that I wouldn't dream of using it as a stand alone effect. It certainly isn't 'sure-fire' and failing will seem like an incorrect guess. It IS useful, though, when limited choices are available or when you have multiple follow up options to draw upon.

Hope this helps

John  

Magic and Illusion

John Gordon - Master Magician