Magic and Illusion/Switching People

Question
QUESTION: Dear John,

I am to be a new Cubmaster for the local cubscout pack (8 to 10 year old boys) of the Boy Scouts of America. The first pack meeting I will be attending will be based upon magic and I thought it would be great to have the previous Cubmaster enter a switching box or go behind a blanket, he and I would switch through the use of an impromptu magician, and I would then finish out the meeting.

I haven't played with magic since I was a cubscout myself and would appreciate some tips and hints on how to get the best production value.

The audience count would be upwards of 70 to 100 people of all ages as this meeting is for the families of the scouts. The performance area is approximately the size of a basketball court with an additional raised stage on one end.  This stage is approximately 10 feet deep and four feet off the floor. There is a set of curtains along the front of the stage (stage level to ceiling), but no curtains are found within the actual performing area.
Thank you for any help you might give.

ANSWER: Hello Troy

First, THANKS for your question. YES I CAN help you in many ways.

Congratulations on your appointment as Clubmaster. When IS your first pack meeting ie how long have we got to resolve this?

There are MANY ways to accomplish this person for person switch .... including some that will cost very little and without complex prop building.

I'd need to know a little more about the presentation, the audience position etc, so respond to this and we'll get started on working out what's best for you.

BTW .... I am unable to discuss such details in Public Mode .... so, when you respond, please do so in Private Mode and be sure to include all the details from above for continuity.

I await your reply....

John Gordon
MagicWorks

QUESTION: The event would be the second week of January. Little cost and complexity would be great as well. I want to amaze the scouts but make it appear as if they could do it to, if they knew how.

Basic Room Layout:

--------------------
   back of room

mid-court
     audience
     audience

====================
      stage
  front of room
--------------------

The room is approximately the size of a basketball court with an additional raised stage on one end.  This stage is approximately 10 to 15 feet deep and four feet off the floor. There is a set of curtains along the front of the stage area(stage level to ceiling), but no curtains are found within the actual performing area.

The audience would be about 70 individuals.

Answer
Thanks for the info Troy.

I cannot answer more now .... as I requested in the last reply:
".... I am unable to discuss such details in Public Mode .... so, when you respond, please do so in Private Mode and be sure to include all the details from above for continuity."

When you DO reply .... also tell me what is to either side of the stage performing area and what is behind it? ie what do the aidience see when facing the stage?

Await reply ..... there seems way too little time to exchange ideas, reach a solution and for you to build, practice, rehearse and adjust etc befor mid January - bearing in mind the holidays when you and I and others will no doubt be unavailable.

John

Magic and Illusion

John Gordon - Master Magician