Magic and Illusion/How do I get my first gig?

Hi Aidan. My name is seth I have been doing magic a few years now and want to do magic for a living. I just don't know how to get my first gig and I was wondering if you could help. Thanks.

Firstly, if you want to do magic as a living remember that Show Business is two words - so you need to be able to do the show, but you also need to know the business side.  Asking questions is a good starting point, but so is research you do yourself - I worked out a good answer for you, then I googled and the first sites I found already have good hints - and - which basically covered what I was going to say anyway!  Working in your material at magic clubs and social events where you are NOT being paid is a good way to hone your skills - until you can be sure you have a good product, don't ask for money - you want your gigs to lead to other gigs and believe me BAD words spread much faster than good ones - you need to get a reputation for delivering a good entertaining show - technique matters, but only to the point where you know you don't have to worry about it - you are being paid to be an entertainer, so you have to make sure it's entertaining.

I hope that this has given some useful pointers, but do come back with any follow up questions you may have.

Magic and Illusion

Aidan Heritage

I'll do my best to help you with ANY aspect of this fascinating subject!

I've been a childrens magician since 1978, and am a full member of the IBM and Magic Circle (London, UK)

IBM, Magic Circle

See experience comments