Magic and Illusion/basic principles

Question
what would you say are the failure points in magic and how to overcome then ie. so far some examples that ive seen starting out are too many uncommon props or intimidating sleight of hand movements introduced too early in some books like why people would stop pursuing it and put books down can you elaborate a bit on this?

Answer
Magic is one of those: easy-to-learn, difficult-to-master kind of arts. I think a large failure point in magic is the lack of originality.  There is an immense amount of overlap and copying that comes from magicians.  Maybe it's a fear of trying something new or simply the lack of innovation.  This is true from the most basic beginner all the way up to the top earners in the field.  I think at least some of the "uncommon props" come from this lack of doing new things.  Silks and canes were very common when these tricks were developed, but now they're obviously antiquated props.  I think the common trend is to start with something that has worked, is tried and true and then make infinitesimally small modifications to make it almost relevant to an audience who is already familiar with the standards of magic.  It's possible to take the principles, even the same background workings and package it in a way that is at least an attempt to do something new.  I think at least when he originally gained fame, David blaine was a good example attempting to innovate and re-work existing backbones.

It's difficult to say if some moves are too difficult too early.  In many cases the ease of a move depends on the individual and their choice in learning material.  If I've never handled a deck of cards, shuffling may be considered a difficult skill, but if I've been playing with them since I was young then maybe a charlie cut is an appropriate entry-level skill to challenge myself with.

The best part about having a book or video with a difficult move is that you can just move on to something else and come back when you feel ready.  Something you may want to keep in mind is that in the privacy of your own practice space no move should be too intimidating.  The fear of failure should be less than the desire to better your skills and learn something new.  A mistake that I made too often was rushing into a performance and not practicing enough or being too discouraged to push through a difficult skill.  With proper practice things do get easier over time even if barely noticeable between sessions.

Magic and Illusion

Nick