Magic and Illusion/failure points

Question
wwhat would you say are the failure points in magic and how to overcome then ie. so far some examples that ive seen starting out are too many uncommon props or intimidating sleight of hand movements introduced too early in some books like why people would stop pursuing it and put books down can you elaborate a bit on this? Havent ran into too much trouble just making of some gimmicks have to get used to that and sleight of hand movements are challenging

Answer
B

I've been getting a string of questions on very similar topics today. Are they all you?

I cannot be very specific. As I said to another question earlier today, this question has been asked in the Public mode and I will not reveal the inner secrets of magic to the public. Ask me privately if you wish.

So, briefly:

>> what would you say are the failure points in magic and how to overcome then ie. so far some examples that ive seen starting out are too many uncommon props or intimidating sleight of hand movements introduced too early in some books like why people would stop pursuing it and put books down <<

The best way to learn anything is to find a mentor. They can show you the way. Otherwise beginners tend to just wander round the massive world of magic and dip into this, that and the other and get frustrated (or disillusioned) and never get anywhere. They are always on the lookout for the next new trick and never 'perfect' the ones they already know.

The very best way to start is to learn some magic with few sleights and ordinary everyday objects. This builds confidence and experience in performing and build an understanding of some of the subtle but vitally important things like timing, angles, misdirection, framing, pace, pauses etc

>> Havent ran into too much trouble just making of some gimmicks have to get used to that and sleight of hand movements are challenging <<

I teach a lot of people, including some beginners. I am always astounded when I see beginners do some 'sleight' they learned perhaps off YouTube .... and how bad they are doing it. Quite how they thought that what they were doing would ever look natural and fool anyone I have no idea. That's because they learned from a really BAD source, had no idea what it should really look like and also that there are many other more simple ways to achieve the same thing anyway!

Get a mentor - it'll cut out years of time wastage and be a short cut to performing with confidence.

John

Magic and Illusion

John Gordon - Master Magician