Magic and Illusion/Learning magic

What are the biggest mistakes novices make when learning or practicing magic?what are the biggest misuses of time?

I've just received another question on here that is about mistakes and challenges when learmning magic. IS that you or someone else?

I asked them to do the same ie to ask me directly in Private Mode as I cannot make useful comments where the general public can see the answers. That would reveal too many 'inner secrets' wouldn't it?

But for now .... here's some simple answers (more detailed one later):

1) Believing that once they discover the 'secret' that they know how to perform the trick
2) That speed will cover a dodgy move!
3) That their fumbling isn't noticed by the audience
4) That fancy moves and over handling is somehow magical
5) That lengthy repetition isn't really boring
6) That their boring 'patter' is good enough
7) That people are ready to watch them at any given moment
8) That everyone will love what they do
9) That audiences won't question some weird magicky looking prop
10) That practice makes perfect - it doesn't! (Ask me why not)

That'll do for now ....

Look forward to your private response

Magic and Illusion

John Gordon - Master Magician

I am a professional performer, and attained status of Gold Star Member of The Inner Magic Circle and, over and above this highest degree, I am only one of about a dozen performers alive who has been awarded their coveted 'Silver Wand'. I perform at the highest level as well as train and coach both beginners and experts in learning a few tricks to creating a brand new award winning act. I ran The Summer School at The Magic Circle for many years as well as booked performers for the monthly public shows. I run a company called `MagicWorks` which provides magic for adult private and corporate events, television, film and theatre productions. I also hold training workshops and seminars, teleconferences and online training on using magic in business, performing at Trade Shows, Magic for Presenters etc and provide after dinner or conference talks and speeches all on the subject of business and personnel development. This includes creativity, presentation, online and offline marketing etc.

Whilst I have been a performer for many years I now spend an increasing amount of time as a personal and business coach, using magic as a metaphor in my teaching and training sessions. I have several Internet Businesses that include Coaching and Mentoring entertainers in the whole business of self Branding, Promotion, Marketing and filling their diaries with bookings.

I have been mentored by the leading magicians in the world and achieved top status at The Magic Circle. This means I became Gold Star Member Of The INNER Magic Circle! Also .... I am a trained coach.

I achieved Gold Star Member of The Inner Magic Circle I was awarded The Silver Wand by The Magic Circle for services to magic and TMC I was bestowed with Lifelong Membership of MOB - The Magicians Of Basingstoke