Major Appliances/GE Profile PFS22MISBWW refrigerator

QUESTION: Purchased it 4/23/07.  Have had no problems with it until this summer.  The temp in both freezer (up to as much as 15 degrees above 0) & refrigerator (just a few degrees) have fluctuated for no apparent reason.  I've cleaned out the freezer & find no frost in either frig or freezer.

For the past week the freezer has stayed at -3 or -4 and the frig at 34 & 35.  Yesterday morning when I opened frig the control panel lights are out.  Apparently the temperatures are staying's still making ice and everything is still frozen solid.  milk & OJ in frig are good & cold.

when I searched this site I found an earlier question someone had asked & you had advised they needed to purchase a control panel...but theirs wasn't cooling and fan wasn't running.  Mine is cooling (now) and the normal sounds seem to be coming from it.

ANSWER: This could be a problem with the main control board on the back of your Refrigerator, or more likely the issue is with the connection where the wire harness from the cabinet of the refrigerator connects to the door at the top of the left refrigerator hinge. Remove the top hinge cover and unplug the refrigerator. Disconnect the plug at the top of the door and check to see if there is any corrosion in the plug. Clean the connects as best you can with a toothbrush and reconnect everything again. If you didn't find corrosion and you still have issue, the main control board on the back of the refrigerator will need to be replaced.   If this is not the solution you will need a voltage meter to perform the tests required in the tech service manual.   We can supply that manual, all we ask is that you order the part from us when you are able to determine which one has failed.   Thank you,  Ann Campion

QUESTION: sort of fixed itself for a while and have had very little flucuation of temp (however the display panel has stayed out except for occaisionally I would hear a loud click and if I immediately opened the door the temp display would be working and then would go black again.) Then Saturday a week ago both frig & freezer stopped cooling.
I kept hoping it would start cooling again but it hasn't. Occaisionally it sounds like the compressor (I guess) tries to start running but doesn't continue.  The fan in the freezer (behind the ice maker) is running and you can hear a 'light' fan running in the frig but no cooling.  I took everything out of both...cleaned it...cut circuit breaker off for that receptacle and left off for 48 hours...plugged back in several hours ago...still no cooling and compressor not running...the control display came on when I plugged back in for about 5 minutes but then went back out.  the light that comes on when you open the doors comes on OK (and has all along).

What now?

ANSWER: Pull the unit away from the wall and remove the cover to gain access tot he control board.  Remove the control board and then check the rear of the control board for burn marks....See any?

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion

P.S. Please keep in mind we help pay our staff with earnings from parts sales.  Help us keep this valuable service free and order your parts from us. Visit our website for additional help at  or for Parts Order Only, Call 1-570-622-6441

QUESTION: OK...we ck'd connection where the wire harness from the cabinet of the refrigerator connects to the door at the top of the left refrigerator hinge. No corrosion...looked in perfect condition.

Then removed the control board and checked rear of control burn marks...looks like new.

Afterwards cut circuit breaker back usual heard a click, opened door and temp display/control panel had come back on, then went back off.  Interior lights in frig & freezer come on when you open doors.  little fan in freezer cooling...compressor not running.

Now what?

Reading over your tests and visual check points, I would replace the main control board located at the rear.  Part number is WR55X10942 and your cost is 139.95 + 8.95 shipping.  Should you choose to order, follow this link to our website where you can scroll down and fill out the secure order form to process your order.  If you have any problems, concerns or need further information, feel free to reply to this email or for Parts Order Only, call 570-622-6441.  Keep in mind ordering through us helps continue this free on-line help available for you and many others.  Help those that help you.  

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric & Ann Campion

Major Appliances

Eric Campion

We have been repairing appliances for over 36 years and have owned our own business for the same. We can help in any or almost all complaints or at least give you some intelligent input to help you make rational decisions. You can visit our website at

36 years owning our business and repairing Major Home Appliances.

Chamber of Commerce. Better Business Bureau. Pottsville Business Association. EXPERIENCE

36 Years of Working on Major Home Appliances and selling parts. Our office staff is top notched in the Major Home Appliance Service and Part Sales Business