Major Appliances/Refrigerator

Question
QUESTION: Hello,
I have a Maytag MTB2456ge Refrigerator.  The Freezer is getting really cold on the 5 setting.  I have ice hanging from the top and my refrigerator is barely keeping cold.  I can defrost the freezer and turn it back on and my refrigerator gets cold again and the freezer works fine until it gets too cold again and the problem happens again.  Any help would be appreciated

ANSWER: Sounds like you are experiencing a defrost issue.  You unit is automatic and it sounds like you are defrosting it yourself.  You need to remove all food from the freezer section and then the ice maker if equipped.  Next remove the rear inside back panel and once removed, you will see a complete blockage of frost/ice.  Defrost all of this and then reassemble and set both controls to the middle settings in the refrigerator section.  Once finished, your unit will work perfectly for 5-7 days.  This will allow ample time to figure out what is going on with your unit.  Let me know once you are finished and if you are ready to move on.

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion

P.S. Please keep in mind we help pay our staff with earnings from parts sales.  Help us keep this valuable service free and order your parts from us. Visit our website for additional help at http://www.affordableappliance.com  or for Parts Order Only, Call 1-570-622-6441

QUESTION: The condenser in the freezer keeps getting frosted and the fan at the top that circulates the air quit working also will keep food cold for a few days until condenser freezes up.

ANSWER: Do you have voltage going to the fan motor?  That needs to be running when the compressor is running.  Got a voltage meter and know how to use it?  Did you defrost the coils behind the panel in the freezer?  You must remove the panel to do this.....

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion

QUESTION: Yes I did the defrost and yes I have a meter

Answer
While cold, check continuity on the evaporator heating element and the defrost thermostat.  You should have continuity on both of them.  If you do, the defrost timer must be replaced and then your frosting up problem will be resolved.  Let us know what you find.

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion

Major Appliances

Eric Campion