Major Appliances/washer drains but won't spin

QUESTION: I have a Sears Kenmore Laundry Center ( stackable ) Model # 417.99985110 When it gets to the spin cycle the water drains but it does not spin, The belt looks fine, transmission not leaking, I didn't see a motor coupler in the parts list, not sure what to look for next.
  Thank You for your time,

ANSWER: Remove the front cover and check the transmission itself.  On that particular unit, since it is draining, that means the motor is turning in the proper direction.  If the motor is turning and the pulley at the bottom where your belt connects to the transmission pulley is turning, the entire transmission should be turning...thus spinning.  Tell me if the transmission pulley is turning while in the draining position.  Does the unit agitate?    

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion

P.S. Please keep in mind we help pay our staff with earnings from parts sales.  Help us keep this valuable service free and order your parts from us. Visit our website for additional help at  or for Parts Order Only, Call 1-570-622-6441

QUESTION: The unit does agitate, But the pulley is not turning in the draining position.

ANSWER: We need to determine whether we have voltage at the motor at the time of spin.  Since the pump comes on I am suspecting the motor or a bad connection at the motor.  Check this and let us know hat you find.  

QUESTION: I understand what your saying, But not sure how to check the voltage do i need a voltage meter? and where on the motor should i check? thanks again  Kelly

We were in the path of Sandy and now working from home since we just got internet back.  Not sure if our shop will be open tomorrow depending on power and internet there.  I meed to do some research on this and cannot do so until I am at the warehouse.  Check at least for bad connections at the motor switch until I can do some research.  Reply to remind me and have a response notice.

Major Appliances

Eric Campion

We have been repairing appliances for over 36 years and have owned our own business for the same. We can help in any or almost all complaints or at least give you some intelligent input to help you make rational decisions. You can visit our website at

36 years owning our business and repairing Major Home Appliances.

Chamber of Commerce. Better Business Bureau. Pottsville Business Association. EXPERIENCE

36 Years of Working on Major Home Appliances and selling parts. Our office staff is top notched in the Major Home Appliance Service and Part Sales Business