Major Appliances/refrigerator waterline install kit and filter

I am having my old 15 yr. old fridge replaced.
My old fridge has a copper water line installed from under the sink to the fridge.  Under the sink is also a filter that connects to the copper water line.  I have never replaced the filter nor have I used the water line for about 4 years.
The new fridge has inside its own replaceable water filter.
1: Do I need the filter at all that is under the sink since the new fridges come with their own filters? If old filter not needed, can I remove the old filter and re-connect the old copper tube or should I just leave the old filter? 2: Do I need to replace the old copper with a new Copper kit anyway with a new fridge?   3: Should I also purchase a stainless steel waterline to connect to the copper line and than 2 the new fridge for when I pull out to clean?
Thank you

I would simply purchase enough copper tubing to go from under the sink to the back of the refrigerator eliminating the old filter.  You do not need two filters.  Behind the refrigerator coil enough tubing so that in the future when you need to pull out the refrigerator, the coil of copper tubing acts like a spring and stretches....  A spiral coil of tubing which will close as you push your unit back against the wall.  In this fashion, you will never get a kink in the copper tubing line no matter how many times in the future you pull out your unit. Good Luck, Eric

Major Appliances

Eric Campion

We have been repairing appliances for over 36 years and have owned our own business for the same. We can help in any or almost all complaints or at least give you some intelligent input to help you make rational decisions. You can visit our website at

36 years owning our business and repairing Major Home Appliances.

Chamber of Commerce. Better Business Bureau. Pottsville Business Association. EXPERIENCE

36 Years of Working on Major Home Appliances and selling parts. Our office staff is top notched in the Major Home Appliance Service and Part Sales Business