Major Appliances/Vintage Westinghouse oven

Question
QUESTION: I own a house in my hometown that has an awesome vintage Westinghouse wall oven that is built into the cabinets.  The model # is:  Q43494 230 240V.  It is stainless steel, and everyone makes comments when they walk in that they love the oven!  It adds so much character to the kichen and I do NOT want to have to replice it.  My friend and her family rent this house from me, and it's also a place for me to stay when I come "home" to visit.  The oven is getting electrical juice, according to the electrician, but it is not heating up to any temperature, as the temperature control does not seem to be working.  I had a repairman take a look at it and he said unfortunately I won't be able to fix it because I won't be able to get a replacement part for an oven that old.  Both the timer and the temperature controls are round dials, and neither seem to work.  There has got to be a way for me to save this vintage beauty that I love, and honestly was part of what made me want to buy this specific house in the first place........the character that I ended up mixing the old with the new improvement I made.  Please heeeeeeeelp!!!

ANSWER: Hello Dawn,
         The number you supplied above is not a valid model number.  We have very old look-up and that number looks more like a part number as most of the older Westinghouse parts began with a letter Q.  Please double check that model number and reply with new information.  We just may be able to help but first we must identify the unit to obtain part numbers for the clock and thermostat.  

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion

P.S. Please keep in mind we help pay our staff with earnings from parts sales.  Help us keep this valuable service free and order your parts from us. Visit our website for additional help at http://www.affordableappliance.com  or for Parts Order Only, Call 1-570-622-6441

QUESTION: Hi Eric - the model # of the Westinghouse oven (see our email chain above) is:  OH - Q53350

HOPE you can help and find the parts!  The repair guy said I will probably need the thermostat, the clock, and the receptacle of bake element at the back of the oven......those are the things he thinks might be the culprit.  

Thanks!!

ANSWER: I found your thermostat part number Q52377.  Cost is 129.95.  Under the original part numbers the terminals are no longer available.  I do have lots of terminals and if a picture was supplied of the terminal needed, I most likely would be able to help.  The Clock also is No longer available under part number Q53842.  If pictures of both the front and rear were supplied, we may be able to help there also.  Simple pictures of the front will not help.  My question is the reliability of your tech.  Did he take the unit apart and verify these parts are needed?  What is your original problem?  A burnt wire on an older unit could cause strange symptoms/problems.  Let us know if we can help further....

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion

QUESTION: Hi Eric - thanks SO much for your info.  I talked to the tech, and he said he didn't fully take it apart because he didn't want me to run into add'l hours of cost in case I chose not to proceed.  He said that specifically the issue is that the bake element will not heat, but it is working and getting electricity to it.  It just won't heat up.  The broiler works, but not the bake element.  He thought it could be either the thermostat that isn't working, the clock, or the receptacle of the bake element at the back of the oven?  What do you think I should order for parts?

Answer
If your technician does not know what the problem is, I question his ability.  You are asking me to tell you what to order and I have never even seen your unit.  I am sure you paid him for his initial diagnosis which in my opinion was shoddy.  He did not do his job.  If the bake element is working and is getting electricity to it and these are factual statements, the bake element should come on.  That is his job as a service provider.  I cannot help further without additional troubleshooting on your end.  If you really want the unit repaired, I would call in a more qualified service technician and have the new tech diagnose properly telling you what the exact problem is.  Once know, I will find the part for you.

Happy Holidays and Good Luck, Eric

Major Appliances

Eric Campion